First time going to Vicksburg

You could go to the visitor center, see the museum there and the short film, then drive straight through the park to Cairo.
If you see the Cairo, be sure to walk over to the entrance of the cemetery, step inside for a minute or two and pay your respects. There is always a peace that comes with visiting a cemetery that puts the parks into a human perspective.

Enjoy your trip, @1stMN !

Hi all, I finally have the pleasure of going to Vicksburg in November. Any recommendations of good photo ops and just good all-around things to see at the battlefield? Thanks in advance!
Don't forget to climb to the top of Sky Parlor Hill! (Inside joke)

View attachment 157799

Antebellum Cedar Grove is a bed-and-breakfast near the riverfront in downtown Vicksburg that also has a very nice though somewhat pricey dining room for elegant dinners. U. S. Grant visited here after the siege and there's a cannonball that came through the window and floor that's still visible embedded in the basement! (Just ask where it is - they'll tell you!)
Cedar Grove is where my teen age daughter saw a chair move with no on in it. This came out later, after we had finished our tour, but before I saw where this was one of the houses known for being haunted. It was a beautiful old place and highly recommended, despite the ghosts.

Don't forget to climb to the top of Sky Parlor Hill! (Inside joke)
The joke was, I went to Vicksburg in 2006, before I had read up on everything, and when my tour of the Old courthouse was over, I asked the guide how to get to Sky Parlor Hill, to climb up it, where upon he advised that it had been razed in the 1880's or something like that. I was so crestfallen.

Cedar Grove is where my teen age daughter saw a chair move with no on in it. This came out later, after we had finished our tour, but before I saw where this was one of the houses known for being haunted. It was a beautiful old place and highly recommended, despite the ghosts.
I believe her.

I've stayed at both Cedar Grove and Anchuca.

I didn't experience anything, but I did have some bad vibes ( for lack of a better word ) at both mansions.

Last edited:
You've received some great advice ! I hope you have nice visit to the Vicksburg NMP.

Since you're limited to two hours, I think you'll have enough time recon the entire park for a more detailed visit at a later date.

I have to agree with the others, make time to spend a few minutes on board the USS Cairo.
Time permitting, the Illinois memorial is well worth a quick stop as well.

I'm looking forward to an after action action report with photos. :D

Thanks for this heads up. It's been a while since I've been in the Park, but I may have a chance to visit next month.
I had no idea Confederate Avenue had fallen into disrepair.
Been a very wet Summer, and the rain has taken it’s toll on the hills in the Park, and the City too for that matter. The ground has caved from under Confederate Ave in places. They’re already short on funding, and this comes at a bad time.

Any word on when the gun carriages will be installed?
Nope, and it’s very disappointing. Rangers,administrators and volunteers got together about three weeks ago to clean up the Park, which gives me hope that the new administration cares about the condition of the Park. So hopefully when the repairs to the roads are made, they will get on the carriages.

I would consider hiring a certified Battlefield Guide. You can get one for 2 hours at a reasonable price. The guide will drive your car so you can concentrate on the tour. The battlefield is rather large and can be confusing. The guide can help you maximize your time and can be booked through the NPS website

I would consider hiring a certified Battlefield Guide. You can get one for 2 hours at a reasonable price. The guide will drive your car so you can concentrate on the tour. The battlefield is rather large and can be confusing. The guide can help you maximize your time and can be booked through the NPS website

I'll definitely look at getting a guide. My travel companion might be interested in that too. Even if we don't, I'm definitely going to do my research ahead of time to know where I'm going and what we want to see in our restricted time frame.

Hi all, I finally have the pleasure of going to Vicksburg in November. Any recommendations of good photo ops and just good all-around things to see at the battlefield? Thanks in advance!
Suggest a Licensed Battlefield Guide. Normal tours are 2 hours, although can do longer if desired. Cost is $50 per car. You can arrange and schedule ahead of time by calling the Park at 601.636.3827

it has always been a dream of mine to go. I'd like to say something about the Rangers their these people are incredible someone had videotaped their visit and put it on YouTube I contacted them to say I liked it the Ranger actually got back in touch with me to thank me for watching. And invited me to come on down sometime these are some really good people so have fun . Mississippi you still have style.

Trying to remember the name of the guide I had back in February. I know I have his card somewhere.

Bdtex, do you know when you'll be making it back down? I haven't forgotten that I owe you a meal!
I'm guessing sometime in Jan-March next year. You don't owe me nothing but if you wanna buy me a meal,I'll letcha. :D

Back