FINALS: Destination CWT Muster 2020

Finals: Destination CWT Muster 2020 Vote for the one(s) you would likely attend one east one west

• WEST: Shiloh & vicinity TN

Votes: 44 49.4%
  • WEST: Franklin & vicinity TN

Votes: 22 24.7%
  • EAST: Antietam & vicinity MD

Votes: 40 44.9%
  • EAST: Fredericksburg & vicinity VA

Votes: 17 19.1%
  • EAST: Charleston or Savannah & Vicinity GA/SC

Votes: 26 29.2%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Baltimore can be rough in the inner city. I visited Green Mount Cemetery and General Armistead's grave it was a pretty rough city.
Not going to the inner city. Just trying to figure out which airport is the best to fly in and out of. Others might need that information too.

Just curious, as I've never been there....but always had the impression Maryland, Baltimore, DC is pretty urban, should we consider a tour bus if we went there instead of car snakes?

I'm not. It's the largest battle CWT outside VA/MD that CWT hasn't visited. I'm more surprised by the high interest in Nashville/Franklin given how little of those sites have been preserved. Living on the FL East Coast I've driven past Savannah alot. Tybee Island Lighthouse, Fort Pulaski, Fort James Jackson, and Fort McAllister are all worth visiting but I've already visited all of then in the last 5 years.
Don't get me wrong. I think Shiloh is a great choice! I only said I was surprised that Shiloh was leading in the West because it seemed like most people wanting West were interested in Franklin/Stones River or Franklin/Spring Hill. I figured both groups would vote for "Franklin & vicinity" since that trip schedule will have Franklin and availability of surrounding destinations. I agree with you. Shiloh is always an awesome choice!

Just curious, as I've never been there....but always had the impression Maryland, Baltimore, DC is pretty urban, should we consider a tour bus if we went there instead of car snakes?
The area surrounding the Antietam Battlefield is about as rural as Shiloh. If Antietam is the choice, participants will need to get to Antietam vicinity on their own. No car snakes from Baltimore or DC.

The area surrounding the Antietam Battlefield is about as rural as Shiloh. If Antietam is the choice, participants will need to get to Antietam vicinity on their own. No car snakes from Baltimore or DC.
As a westerner I cant imagine going to within 60 miles of DC and Arlington and not going to them, it would seem rather silly personally, its not like we get out there everyday...….

Its like if we went to Savannah or Charleston...…and not doing the other too, or Shiloh without Corinth

As a westerner I cant imagine going to within 60 miles of DC and Arlington and not going to them, it would seem rather silly personally, its not like we get out there everyday...….
Right. You'd probably want do that either before or after the official event.

there's Charleston and Beaufort up the road that has Fort Sumter, Fort Moultrie, the Hunley
Savannah and Charleston is already rolling out the carpet's for everyone. They have already prepared for us down there. They love to have groups in Savannah/Charleston they are made for historical tourism. the base would be Savannah. We could venture up to Beaufort and Charleston.

Savannah and Charleston are a two hour drive apart.

Nearest airport to Antietam is probably Reagan National Washington DC or BWI.

Dulles is actually the closest on the west side of the DC area. Reagan National is practically the middle and weekday traffic will be terrible.

Its like if we went to Savannah or Charleston...…and not doing the other too, or Shiloh without Corinth
Right I get what you're saying. The event QM and team will have to choose places carefully to make a schedule that is best for the group and includes what can reasonably fit in the time allotted. Its a GREAT group of choices! No matter what destinations are ultimately chosen, I don't think anyone who attends will be disappointed.

Savannah and Charleston are a two hour drive apart.

Hmmm many a time I've left a place at 6 or 6:30 to get some where by 8 or 8:30 and then stay to 5 or 6 before driving back...….never been a problem for me before...……

I've been doing the same to STL all summer for numerous doctor appts...........

Last edited:
Well, FWIW, I voted.

James N. is absolutely right about the lack of facilities/entertainment near Sharpsburg. The Antietam National Military Park is fairly isolated though there is a good ice cream shop there. It's just a long way from anywhere.

@NH Civil War Gal is also absolutely right, there will be no effective "car train" in the DC area. We'd have to do a bus tour or forget about it. Even then, traffic will dictate the schedule and the U.S. Department of Transportation a couple of years ago officially designated DC traffic as, "worst in the nation."

My two cents. We'll see what the group comes up with.

I live north of Baltimore. BWi is south of the city.

For NH girl yes bwi makes the most sense. Totally agree.

expect 2 hours drive from bwi to Hagerstown or Antietam.

like all cities Baltimore has it’s rough areas but I wouldn’t expect any one here to be going there. Greenmount as someone mentioned is not in the best area but many old cemeteries are not. Going during the day its fine and with others is even safer.

bdtex - Chestertown is on eastern shore. Bwi is probably in the middle between Antietam and chestertown. In June...Uggg traffic going across the bridge to the eastern shore can be very bad. There is only two ways across, Bay Bridge or up and around down Delaware. I’d recommend bwi. Flown between bwi and Houston direct many options.

i am happy to answer more questions but don’t want to get ahead of ourselves if Antietam is not selected.

I’d recommend bwi. Flown between bwi and Houston direct many options.

i am happy to answer more questions but don’t want to get ahead of ourselves if Antietam is not selected.
Thanks. I will be visiting in June regardless of how the vote here happens. My plan is to fly in as early as I can on a Tuesday,drive straight to Sharpsburg and spend the rest of the day,all day Wednesday and Thursday morning there. I'll head to Chestertown early Thursday afternoon.

Back