Fighting for Slavery?

jgoodguy

-*- Mime -*-
Yep. You are right. :whistling: Thank goodness no one in the states below the massie-dixie was ever proven to have bought a slave---at gun-point--another case solved.
There are those old woodcuts of New England Frigate Slave Ships anchoring in Southen harbors and threatening to reduce the town by cannon fire unless the rich citizens rowed out and bought slaves.

Fewer ads. Lots of American Civil War content!
JOIN NOW: REGISTER HERE!

Drew

Major
I look forward to that thread where the Conspiracy Theory is fleshed out. It appears that the Native American must have started the Atlanta Slave Trade because the New England Colonies did not exist when the Atlantic Slave Trade started in 1519. How did they command and control the Portuguese
Wow, talk about "moving the goalposts?" I thought we were talking about North American colonies that would become the United States in the late 18th century. 'Suppose I was wrong...

O' Be Joyful

Sergeant Major
-*- Mime -*-
Use-ta be: Zinn-zä-nätti o-HI-o The BIG city.
I think my point is that it was a National sin. Too many people (Northerners) are taught to believe the entire Mess lies at the feet of the South. It's just not true.

"They" this and "They" that. Give me a break.
Wow. You have examples of textbooks, speeches and so on to support this? Please provide them for our shocked eyes to view.
I would like to see examples of this as well. To, think of my mis-spent yankee youth...well in the ways of history, anyway. :D

I continually hear of this mysterious foe to proper knowledge and rememberance, but never am I confronted with examples. Do you have such, my confederado friend?

Drew

Major
I would like to see examples of this as well. To, think of my mis-spent yankee youth...well in the ways of history, anyway. :D

I continually hear of this mysterious foe to proper knowledge and rememberance, but never am I confronted with examples. Do you have such, my confederado friend?
Here, you should meet New York City's mayor, Fernando Wood. He famously wanted to secede with the South. The Encyclopedia Britannica is a pretty solid source.

https://www.britannica.com/biography/Fernando-Wood

Viper21

Sergeant Major
No, it's applying a consistent standard across the board.
If it weren't for double standards, many folks wouldn't have any standards....

The Confederate soldier fought for Independence. Same as their Grandfathers.

"Preserve the Union" is a very polite way to state the Union objective. Reality is, there was no CSA desire to conquer, or subjugate Yankee land. The Union would've still existed.

Tin cup

Captain

"Preserve the Union" is a very polite way to state the Union objective. Reality is, there was no CSA desire to conquer, or subjugate Yankee land. The Union would've still existed.
Then why were they so upset that they couldn't spread their slavery into the Territories?

Kevin Dally

ForeverFree

Major
Yes, that is the point. The New England captors, enslavers and peddlers were lining their pockets with slavery.

This is supposed to be a history forum. I don't know why you have such a hard time with actual history.
The problem is that the North is often looked at in a monolithic way. But that's not the way to look at it.

There were people in the North who were involved in the slave trade. It's also true that in the wake of the Revolutionary War, northern states, citing the values that animated their fight for liberty, abolished slavery in that section over time. It is also true that abolitionism became a movement, albeit among a minority of northerners, which had a real impact in US politics, certainly in the 1860 election. It is also true that the free labor and free soil views of the North were the oppositional forces that animated secessionism in selected Southerners.

All of this needs to be acknowledged.

- Alan

WJC

Brigadier General
Thread Medic
Answered the Call for Reinforcements
Here, you should meet New York City's mayor, Fernando Wood. He famously wanted to secede with the South. The Encyclopedia Britannica is a pretty solid source.

https://www.britannica.com/biography/Fernando-Wood
To suggest that Wood "wanted to secede with the South" is a mischaracterization.
Wood was against abolition, only because he was more concerned with the working man in New York and free labor conditions throughout the North. He advocating taking care of one's own problems rather than someone else's. He wanted no part in a war to bring the secessionist states 'back into the fold'. He felt an independent New York City could better deal with the cotton producers of the South, but did not want to join the so-called 'Confederate States'.

John Hartwell

Major
Forum Host
Yes, that is the point. The New England captors, enslavers and peddlers were lining their pockets with slavery.
Edited.
Yes, there were people in New England involved in the slave trade ... "actual history" that
nobody denies. There were many more people in New England (and elsewhere in the North) who willingly abolished slavery within their own states, and championed the banning of the Transatlantic slave trade (the latter with the help of some true Southerners, as well). Thereby working against the interest of those "enslavers and peddlers [who] were lining their pockets with slavery." And that is "actual history" you choose to deny.

Here, you should meet New York City's mayor, Fernando Wood. He famously wanted to secede with the South.
Didn't happen, though, did it?

And the guilt :unsure:?
What guilt? There is no reason for anyone today to feel guilty about what some people did 150-200 years ago.

Last edited:

WJC

Brigadier General
Thread Medic
Answered the Call for Reinforcements
Isn't that missing the point? Lincoln's concern was not that "a" Union continue to exist, but "the" Union as it then existed.
It's somewhat like a divorce where one parent leaves the marriage. The remaining parent and children are still a family, but not the same family as before.

OpnCoronet

Lt. Colonel
Why has Eli Whitney not received the praise or credit for aiding in the expansion of slavery with his little toy the cotton gin or if I am correct the expansion of manufacturing in the North with interchangeable parts.May be we canblame him for the secession and the political turmoil . This is easy when the fact that the slavery may have died out but for this little toy.The North would not have become as industrialized if not for the interchangeable part.There was no copyright at this time so anyone could copy his machines which they did.Please to correct if in error.

Roughly historical, but, interchangeable parts and the Cotton Gin are only parts of many other influences that permeated Ante Bellum America.

The examples shown are merely instruments, it is the use they are put to by others that historical experience is recorded.

jgoodguy

-*- Mime -*-

Can't break something and expect it to still exist. I seem to recall invasion of Maryland, Kentucky, and Pennsylvania, Yankee AKA Union land to conquer and subjugate it. .

Last edited:

Fewer ads. Lots of American Civil War content!
JOIN NOW: REGISTER HERE!