Enfield stock marks

hrobalabama

First Sergeant
I am trying to ID two marks on an 1863 P-53. They are on the stock bottom next to the TG. This is an "Anchor over S" P-53 which was run through the blockade to Wilmington, NC. The barrel is marked on the underside "J.T." and also "Faulkner." The Lock is marked "JT' and also lightly "S&S."Also the ramrod has a small "s"
I have ID these marks but the two images by the TG are still a mystery. Could the larger one be the BSA logo?
Thanks so much for your help!

DSCF1447.JPG

DSCF1448.JPG

I'm going to defer to our resident Enfield guru's paging @Craig L Barry and @Lanyard Puller. In the mean time could you post photos of the complete Enfield and the markings, lock-plate, barrel etc.

The roundel stamp near the butt is: Birmingham Small Arms Trade (BSTA) see page 21 & 99 in "The English Connection" by Russ Pritchard & C.A. Huey . Faulkner Brothers (David and Charles)were gun barrel manufacturers, see page 36. The JS over anchor is John Southgate (??) a London Armoury Co. viewer, see page 110. On TG , small crown over BSAT see page 154 Don't know other one. Chisel marks are assembly marks. Not everything, but hope it helps.

I am trying to ID two marks on an 1863 P-53. They are on the stock bottom next to the TG. This is an "Anchor over S" P-53 which was run through the blockade to Wilmington, NC. The barrel is marked on the underside "J.T." and also "Faulkner." The Lock is marked "JT' and also lightly "S&S."Also the ramrod has a small "s"
I have ID these marks but the two images by the TG are still a mystery. Could the larger one be the BSA logo?
Thanks so much for your help!

View attachment 319320

View attachment 319321
Those appear to be the Birmingham Small Arms trademark in the last picture and the anchor S is the inspector's mark and associated with the Confederacy, Faulkner is either the barrel manufacturer or rifler. @Lanyard Puller will be able to expound, no doubt.

The roundel stamp near the butt is: Birmingham Small Arms Trade (BSTA) see page 21 & 99 in "The English Connection" by Russ Pritchard & C.A. Huey . Faulkner Brothers (David and Charles)were gun barrel manufacturers, see page 36. The JS over anchor is John Southgate (??) a London Armoury Co. viewer, see page 110. On TG , small crown over BSAT see page 154 Don't know other one. Chisel marks are assembly marks. Not everything, but hope it helps.
Thanks!

Back