Dewberries

donna

Brev. Brig. Gen'l
Forum Host
Joined
May 12, 2010
Location
Now Florida but always a Kentuckian
Dewberries are in the genus Rubus, closely related to blackberries. They are small trailing brambles with small berries which are purple to black. They are sweet berries and are good in pie, cobbler, jellies and jams.

An early Dewberry Cobbler:

1 1/2 cups flour
1 1/2 cups sugar
1 teaspoon salt
1 cup milk
2 teaspoons baking powder
1 stick butter
3 to 5 cups dewberries

Instructions at cook.com/recipe/pg76h/dy/dewberry-cobbler.html
 
I've never been sure exactly what the difference is between the various types of berries. I suspect the names are more regional than particular to distinctly different fruits.
 
Wikipedia says Cameron County, NC once touted itself as the dewberry capital of the world and shipped large quantities of the berry out on the railroad. I live less than a hundred miles from Cameron County, but have never heard of the berry. I love blackberries, so I'll have to do a little searching for this cousin.
 
I don't know the difference between dew berries and the wild berries that are found in the Mississippi. Here they ripen in June.
 

Learn About Us
►About CivilWarTalk
►Contact the Webmaster
►Meet the Staff
►Link to CivilWarTalk
Join Our Community
►Register
►Browse Forums
►View Today's Discussions
►Search the Forum
Get Help
►FAQ
►Student Guide
►Forum Rules & Etiquette
►Copyright / DMCA

     Contact Us CivilwarTalk on Facebook CivilWarTalk on YouTube CivilWarTalk on Twitter RSS Feed

Bringing the American Civil War and More to Life.
© 1999 - , CIVILWARTALK, LLC - Site Version 10.0

SlaveryTalk.com - SecessionTalk.com - CivilWarTalk.com - ReconstructionTalk.com
Back
Top