1865 – 1896: Attorney in Biloxi, Mississippi​

Died: September 15, 1896

Place of Death: Biloxi, Mississippi

Cause of Death: Albuminuria

Age at time of Death:
71 years old

Burial Place: Biloxi Cemetery, Biloxi, Mississippi

Last edited by a moderator:
Uncle Jefferson was charged with nepotism when Joseph Davis' name was brought before the Senate for nomination (and was rejected). A few days later, after some bargaining, the nephew of Jefferson Davis was finally confirmed as a brigadier general.

11/1-11/4/62 Staff appointments for Davis who was just made B Gen

In autumn 1862 Joe wrote a letter to the Sec of War, referring to Hugh Miller's Regt the 42nd​ Ms, as "Part of an organization which I have been raising."
It was already rumored heavily through the Confederacy that there was strong nepotism shown by his Uncle towards him when just months earlier in the summer he was given the rank of Brig Gen.
A post that was heatedly debated & the nomination once rejected. Joseph needed to "prove" himself with a field command of a Bgde in a role he had no experience whatsoever.\

1/20/63 Memorandum, sent by Gen G W Smith from Goldsboro, to Gen Davis, Richmond: "If possible, get another Ms Regt to complete your Bgde. I would like you to have two more if you can.
Call attention to insufficient number of troops in this State. Organization of the command from Richmond to Wilmington inclusive- It is suggested that NC including Petersburg be made a separate Department. Form it into three districts under French, Elzey, & Whiting.

1/21/63 Richmond, Gen Davis [to Smith] have had some conversation with the President & think matters can be arranged satisfactorily to you & all parties. I will renew the subject tomorrow & hope to arrive at some definite conclusion. Have not broached my own matter of an additional Regt for my command, but fear that it is a forlorn hope- As you know, I am not satisfied with the thing as it now stands, but must do the best I can. Would be very much obliged to hear from you by telegram on receipt of this as to the necessity of my immediate return.

2/25/63 J R Davis to Jeff Davis-finding horses for President Davis' children---has been sent to reinforce Pryor but wishes to return to NC to serve with French. Cannot see that this line needs more than a Brigadier's command & if it ought to have a better cdr than Pryor

[Extracted from]:The 2nd Mississippi Infantry Regiment in the Gettysburg Campaign Copyright © 1998 Michael R. Brasher

APPENDIX 2 Based on Busey's and Martin's Regimental Strength's and Losses at Gettysburg
As noted elsewhere, the numbers each side brought to battle at Gettysburg, and the losses suffered by individual units are open to debate. Probably the most detailed study in this respect was performed by the above authors and despite some noted serious discrepancies -- such as the large variance in the reported number of effectives in the 11th Mississippi -- this study will be used to illustrate the intensity of combat that took place on July 1. Cutler's brigade was comprised of the 7th Indiana, 76th New York, 84th New York (sometimes called the 14th Brooklyn), 95th New York, 147th New York and the 56th Pennsylvania. On July 1, the 7th Indiana was serving on detached duty and did not take part in the fighting that day. Of the five regiments on the field on July 1, the 76th New York numbered 375, the 84th New York 318, the 95th New York 241, the 147th New York 380, and the 56th Pennsylvania 252.

The 6th​ Wisconsin of the Iron Brigade numbered 344 and the Iron Brigade Guard, which accompanied the 6th in the charge at the Railroad Cut, numbered approximately 112 men. The three units of Cutler's brigade initially engaged by Davis' regiments were the 76th and 147th New York and the 56th​ Pennsylvania, numbering some 1,007 effectives. Davis' Brigade was comprised of the 2nd, 11th, and 42nd Mississippi and the 55th North Carolina. On July 1, the 11th Mississippi was serving on detached duty guarding the divisional trains at Cashtown. Based on Busey and Martin's numbers, the 2nd numbered 492, the 42nd 575, and the 55th North Carolina 640. So, using these numbers, the Confederates initially outnumbered their Union opponents by some 700 men. After the three Federal regiments were driven from the field, the 6th Wisconsin and Iron Brigade Guard were joined by the remainder of Cutler's brigade, the 84th and 95th New York, in a charge toward the Railroad Cut where Davis' units had taken cover. This brought an additional 1,015 troops against Davis' 1,707, less the losses inflicted in the earlier fighting.

Davis---Reported Losses
2nd Mississippi 232
11th Mississippi (7/3) 312
42nd Mississippi 265
55th North Carolina 220

Based on these numbers, Davis' Brigade would have joined Pickett's Charge with some 1,582 men. (2nd Mississippi 260, 11th 592, 42nd 310, and 55th North Carolina 420). First-person accounts document that the 2nd Mississippi carried only some 60 muskets into the fight on July 3, and the 11th no more than 350 (not 592 -- the 350 number also collaborates McFarland's account which indicated only about 40 men of the 11th Mississippi returned from Pickett's Charge). This would give Davis' Brigade a strength of 1,140 men.

This number is still somewhat high, because, like the 2nd Mississippi, the 42nd did not report any missing or captured, only killed and wounded. The 55th North Carolina reported only 22 missing. Since all but 88 of the 232 men captured in the Railroad Cut had to come from either the 42nd Mississippi or 55th North Carolina, we are probably safe in assuming that both units' reports of missing are low. Thus, the estimate of about 1,000men in line in Davis' Brigade on July 3 is probably somewhat on the "generous" side.

From the Northern side of the ledger, the 147th New York suffered the 4th highest percentage loss (77.9%) of any Federal regiment at Gettysburg, and came in number two with respect to the largest number killed (60). The 84th New York came in 13th on the list at 68.2%, and the 76th New York also made the list at number 23 (62.4%).

Because of the heavy officer casualties resulting in incomplete or inaccurate returns for the regiments of Davis' Brigade, they have not been given the credit due them for their contribution at Gettysburg. Hopefully future investigations will help set the record straight in this regard.

As a graduate of Miami University, I recall taking a course titled "History of Miami".

I need to dig out the textbook- it was a great read. I do remember the book highlighted a significant degree of southern sympathy on the campus, with a lot of Civil War figures associated with the school. Lottie Moon (confederate spy) grew up in Oxford.

Joe Davis, nephew of Jefferson Davis, had no Brigade combat command experience prior to Gettysburg. After Gettysburg, the shortage of senior commanders (as well as his Uncle's influence) enabled him to retain Brigade command.

Joe Davis, nephew of Jefferson Davis, had no Brigade combat command experience prior to Gettysburg. After Gettysburg, the shortage of senior commanders (as well as his Uncle's influence) enabled him to retain Brigade command.
I was going to point out that Davis did take command of a brigade in Heth's Division on May 30, 1863 but then I noticed the word "combat" in your reply.

Back