Confederate 1853 Pattern Enfields - Best Reference Book?

ConfederateCanuck

First Sergeant
So I've been trying to find the best reference books on the 1853 Pattern Enfields. I'd like to get a Confederate Enfield if possible. Various people on the Forums have recommended the following books:

• The English Connection
  • Suppliers to the Confederacy
Another recommendation on the internet was:
  • The Confederate Enfield (2103) by Steven. W. Knott
This monograph examines the specific markings found on British Pattern 1853 rifle-muskets and short rifle derivatives purchased by the Confederacy. Viewer (inspector) cartouches, supplier logos, property marks, and inventory control numbers used by the War Department and the states of Georgia, North Carolina, Louisiana, and South Carolina are all covered. Specific features include over 60 color photos of Confederate Enfields and related markings; 32 color scans of significant purchase and shipping documents (most published here for the first time); detailed information on the meaning and location of all known Confederate marks (JS-Anchor, Anchor-S, Circle-CH1, Oval-IC, Crown-SHC, Star-TC, furnishers' letters, inventory numbers, and GA, NC, & SC property marks); new information on the state purchasing agents of Georgia, North Carolina, Louisiana, and South Carolina; and a rare identified Enfield of a Confederate soldier killed in action at Gettysburg. Wraps; 56 pages; landscape format 120 images.

Does anyone know this book or have an opinion on its relative merit in comparison to the other books, particularly in regards to information that will help one to definitively identify a real Confederate Enfield from a fake? Does anyone know where one can be found for sale (so far, I can't find any online)?

I have all three. The Knott book does a good job showing different state inspection markings. I think you keep an eye open, and get The English Connection and Suppliers for starters, and then get Knott's book down the road.

Really, the hardest Enfields to obtain are the state marked ones, and even then, Google will probably take you to College Hill where you can read up further on them. So don't sweat it getting Knott's book right away.

Last edited:
All 3 are great books, if I had to pick just one to start it would be Suppliers to the Confederacy.

[QUOTE="Legion Para. Collecting long arms used by the Confederacy can get expensive. Have you seen this link? It will take you to a documented Confederate Enfield which is currently for sale.

https://civilwartalk.com/threads/19th-georgia-id-enfield.153035/#post-1955825[/QUOTE]

This Enfield was stolen in Baltimore last year and still remains in police custody after it's recovery. It is not for sale, but when it was the asking price was $9500.

As for the reference books @MarkTK36thIL got it right IMHO

Confederate Odyssey is also a very good book. It details the collection of the Atlanta History Museum but it is chocked full of great pictures and detailed information. Plus, it is still in print and is easily available (try Amazon or E-Bay). I have also seen it at a number of NPS battlefield stores.

Hands down it's The English Connection first, and all the rest next. It's the latest reference published with accurate information some of which was only available after the discovery of the McRae Papers, now in The Confederate Relic Room, Columbia, SC. College Hill Arsenal has them at $25 off.

The Enfield for sale {number 2006} mentioned in a prior post, is now off the market after being recovered. The price was justified by the condition, markings, and ID, but was a bit on the high side.

Last edited:
All four of the books mentioned are excellent. In addition, you may want to consider "The British Soldier's Firearm - From Smoothbore to Smallbore 1850 - 1864" (by Dr. C.H. Roads). Whilst not specifically about US or CS imports it has a wealth of info on P 53's, P 56's etc. Another good book is "The Pattern 1853 Enfield Rifle" (by Peter Smithurst).

I believe Steven Knott's book on Confederate Enfields has recently been re printed with some updated info.

Back