• Welcome to the Receipts of the Blue & Gray. - The receipts you will find here are original Antebellum, and Civil War period receipts, as originally published between the years 1796 and 1880. One exception, is: Newspaper Clippings & Periodical Receipts are limited to a publishing period from 1858 to 1866.

Some receipts from this era attempted to give medicinal advice. Many dangerous, and in some cases, deadly, "cures" were given, reflecting the primitive knowledge of that time period. Don't assume everything you read here is safe to try! Recipes and Receipts posted here are for Historic Research Purposes, enjoy them, learn from them, discuss them!

★ If you attempt to try one of these recipes / receipts, you do so at your own risk! ★

• Welcome to CivilWarTalk, a forum about the American Civil War! - Join today! It's fast, simple, and FREE!

Sweet Baked Goods Clippings Chocolate Cake

From Breakfast, Luncheon & Tea - by Marion Harland - 1875

Here's a classic chocolate cake recipe coupled with a frosting recipe from the 19th century. Very simple, but sounds yummy.

upload_2017-5-31_14-0-0.png

Thank you for sharing this, @Anna Elizabeth Henry! Can't go wrong with a classic.

I will say that "butter, rubbed in with sugar" sounds both enticing and completely wrong. In the immortal words of Doc Holliday in Tombstone, "How lewd." :smile:

:rofl: The method does seem interesting.

I find it odd they want you to whip the egg yolks and egg whites separate, but then combine everything. I'm going to give the method a try and see if it improves/changes the texture of the cake at all. I doubt it would affect the flavor.

That sounds similar to the method for a mousse, doesn't it? My parents used a sponge cake recipe that called for beating the whites separately and folding them into the batter, which was baked in one of those spring tube pan things. Could this be similar?

That sounds similar to the method for a mousse, doesn't it? My parents used a sponge cake recipe that called for beating the whites separately and folding them into the batter, which was baked in one of those spring tube pan things. Could this be similar?

Very well could be. I know a jelly cake tin is the thinner/flatter tin used to make things like a Swiss roll. Perhaps the cake needs to be made differently as a result.

Oh, you're thinking of the springform pan, it's used for desserts like cheesecake and mousse, so you don't have difficultly removing it from the pan. Plus, it also sets well and provides side structure to hold more loose ingredients together before you serve them.

All of the recipes have actually been for a yellow cake with chocolate filling and icing.the recipe below is actually for a chocolate cake from "Miss Parloa's New Cookbook".Maria Parloa was the principal of the School of Cooking in Boston,this is a 19th century recipe.

www.vintagerecipes.net/books/missparloa/chocolate_cake_1.php

I wonder if people back in the day thought chocolate cake with chocolate frosting too decadent as you don't see it often in 19th century cookbooks. Or would it be expensive to use chocolate/coco powder?

Chocolate cake is always my favorite. My husband had one made for me for today, my birthday. It is from the Publix Bakery. It looks beautiful and know will be delicious. Would love to share with my family but because of virus can only see them on skype.

Back