• Welcome to the Receipts of the Blue & Gray. - The receipts you will find here are original Antebellum, and Civil War period receipts, as originally published between the years 1796 and 1880. One exception, is: Newspaper Clippings & Periodical Receipts are limited to a publishing period from 1858 to 1866.

Some receipts from this era attempted to give medicinal advice. Many dangerous, and in some cases, deadly, "cures" were given, reflecting the primitive knowledge of that time period. Don't assume everything you read here is safe to try! Recipes and Receipts posted here are for Historic Research Purposes, enjoy them, learn from them, discuss them!

★ If you attempt to try one of these recipes / receipts, you do so at your own risk! ★

• Welcome to CivilWarTalk, a forum about the American Civil War! - Join today! It's fast, simple, and FREE!

Cocktails/Brews Cheap Small Beer

cheap small beer
(from Godey's Ladies Magazine, edited by L.A. Godey, Sarah J. Hale, 1861)

Ingredients:
12 quarts of cold water​
1-1/2 pints strong hop tea​
1-1/2 pints molasses​
Instructions:
To twelve quarts of cold water, add a pint and a half of strong hop tea, and a pint and a half of molasses. Mix in well together, and bottle it immediately. It will be fit for use the next day, if the weather is warm.​

Last edited by a moderator:
Tjere is a post saying "wooohoo" above
These are really interesting @donna as I never thought of making my own beer. Never realized it was relatively simple. Thanks for sharing!
My dad's dad had the best smelling basement in Toledo, Ohio. He brewed his own beer and made his own sauerkraut in addition to pickles and various other pickled veggies.

Back