Cavalry question

Capt7thWvCoA

Private
Good afternoon everyone. I have a question for all the cavalrymen out there. At any point in the war , did dismounted cavalry fight in a two ranks deep battleline like the Infantry did ? I doubt they did but I could be wrong .

Good afternoon everyone. I have a question for all the cavalrymen out there. At any point in the war , did dismounted cavalry fight in a two ranks deep battleline like the Infantry did ? I doubt they did but I could be wrong .
Generally no, would be hard to do with carbines. Much of the dismounted tactics are similar to infantry skirmish drill.

In the cases were cavalry units lost their horses they might be armed as infantry and find their cavalry specific arms used to up arm other horses. Both the US & CS had units that swapped back and forth several times being utilized as infantry when they had no horses. That is the only situation I can think of where a cavalry unit would have been working like an infantry unit.

Half the Confederate cavalry in the Vicksburg theater of operations served as infantry using infantry tactics! :D Or did you mean, specifically, dismount, fight as infantry, then remount and ride away?

Back