Breechldrs Cartouche Identification

Howard707

Private
Hello,
I am looking for help in identifying the three-letter cartouche on a Sharps New Model 1859 carbine. The last two letters appear to be an "A" and a "T". I am not sure about the first letter. The cartouche above this one is "TA", which I have been told stands for the inspector, John Taylor. Any information on either cartouche would be appreciated.
Thank you.
Howard

IMG_0429.JPG

These are always hard to read. Lets see if @Jeff in Ohio has a clue.

I took some additional photographs of the cartouche in hopes of them helping someone to identify the inspector.
Howard

IMG_0462.JPG

IMG_0463.JPG

IMG_0464.JPG

Thank you for all of your responses in identifying the cartouche. I really appreciate the help. As far as the sling bar, it is broken at the base. I am hoping to find an original replacement for it. If anyone has any ideas of where I may locate one, I would again be in the forum's debt.
Take care.
Howard

Regarding the WAT cartouche, it is common to have two inspector stamps on the carbine? Would the second stamp one possibly indicate that the carbine was returned to the factory for repairs?

Regarding your question about cartouches on military firearms. First the weapon goes through "Proofing" usually consisting of firing a heavier then normal load. If passed it gets proof markings stamped on the barrel. Nest it is stripped and cleaned and reassembled and checked for function. Now the firearm goes to normally a civilian inspector who is qualified and familiar with it for his inspection. If all OK he stamps his cartouche to indicate it was inspected. Next step in the completion is the accumulating of a quantity for the final inspection which is done by a commissioned officer who is very familiar with the weapon and the quality of the civilian inspectors work. He would usually random inspect enough pieces to be sure standards are being met. Upon his approval he will stamp his cartouche on the whole quantity which will then be shipped to the fort or base. Once received the payment will be processed. Over time and usage the cartouche is subject to being worn off.
You might try Lodgewood, S&S and other part houses for the sling bar.
As I stated above, Thornton was not assigned to inspect model 1859, but was at the factory in early 1859 inspecting model 1853, so quite possible he was pressed into inspecting some of the model 1859's.

Hi John42768,
Thank you for all of your valuable information. I certainly appreciate it. I checked with Lodgewood and they were out of stock. I wasn't aware of the S&S company, so I will be checking with them. I know that the forearm stock has been replaced with a cutdown version from a rifle. I don't know if this work would have been done at the factory and if so, would that have generated another inspector stamp.
Howard

Back