{⋆★⋆} BG Bryan, Goode

Goode Bryan​

Born: August 31, 1811

General Bryan.jpg
Birthplace: Hancock County, Georgia

Father: Joseph Bryan 1768 – 1861
(Buried: Mount Zion Church Cemetery, Hancock County, Georgia)​

Mother: Ann Goode 1777 – 1837
(Buried: Mount Zion Church Cemetery, Hancock County, Georgia)​

1st​ Wife: Francis Maria Myers 1822 – 1850
(Buried: Summerville Cemetery, Augusta, Georgia)​

2nd​ Wife: Anna Elizabeth Twiggs 1828 – 1884
(Buried: Magnolia Cemetery, Augusta, Georgia)​

Children:

Joseph Henry Bryan 1855 – 1858​
​
George Twiggs Bryan 1857 – 1935​
(Buried: Magnolia Cemetery, Augusta, Georgia)​
​
Sarah Bryan 1859 –
Bryan.jpg
​
Annie G. Bryan Stewart 1861 - 1885​
(Buried: Magnolia Cemetery, Augusta, Georgia)​
​
Rebecca Holt Bryan Capers 1869 – 1931​
(Buried: Mission Burial Park, San Antonio, Texas)​

Education:

1834:
Graduated from West Point Military Academy (25th​ in class)

Occupation:

1834 – 1835: Brevet 2nd​ Lt. United States Army, 5th​ Infantry Regiment​
​
1835: Resigned from United States Army on April 30th​​
​
1835 – 1839: Assistant Engineer Augusta & Athens Railroad Co.​
​
1839 – 1846: Planter in Alabama​
​
1842 – 1846: Colonel in Alabama State Militia​
​
1843 – 1844: Alabama State Representative​
​
1846 – 1847: Major 1st​ Alabama Volunteers during Mexican War​
​
1847 – 1849: Planter in Alabama​
​
1849 – 1853: Planter in Jefferson County, Georgia​
​
1853 – 1861: Planter in Richmond County, Georgia​
​
1853 – 1861: Captain in Georgia State Militia​

Civil War Career:

1861: Delegate to Georgia State Secession Convention​
​
1861 – 1862: Captain in 16th​ Georgia Infantry​
​
1862: Lt. Colonel of 16th​ Georgia Infantry​
​
1862 – 1863: Colonel of 16th​ Georgia Infantry​
​
1862: Participated in the Peninsula Campaign​
​
1862: Participated in the Second Battle of Bull Run​
​
1862: Participated in the Battle of Fredericksburg​
​
1863: Participated in the Battle of Chancellorsville​
​
​
1863: Participated in the Battle of Gettysburg​
​
1863 – 1864: Brigadier General in the Confederate Army Infantry​
​
1863: Participated in Mine Run Campaign​
​
1863: Participated in the Battle of Chickamuga​
​
1863: Participated in the Knoxville Campaign​
​
1864: Participated in the Battle of Cold Harbor​
​
1864: Participated in the beginning of Petersburg Siege​
​
1864: Resigned his commission due to ill chronic health problems​

Occupation after War:
Brig. General Goode Bryan.JPG


1864 – 1885: Farmer in Augusta, Georgia​
​
Helped organize the Confederate Survivors Association​

Died: August 16, 1885

Place of Death: Augusta, Georgia

Cause of Death: Paralysis

Age at time of Death: 73 years old

Burial Place: Magnolia Cemetery, Augusta, Georgia

Annie Bryan Stewart.JPG
Anna Twiggs Bryan.JPG
Catherine E. Bryan.JPG
George Twiggs Bryan.JPG
George Bryan Capers.JPG
 
Last edited by a moderator:
Thanks for posting this bio @gentlemanrob

I don't think I've ever seen that first picture. Is it an image from the Mexican War?

He was 52 years old when he made Brigadier General and 73 when he died. I also didn't realize that General Bryan died just a year after Wm T Wofford. Too bad, as far as I know, neither of them ever wrote memoirs.:nah disagree:
 
Thanks for posting this bio @gentlemanrob

I don't think I've ever seen that first picture. Is it an image from the Mexican War?

He was 52 years old when he made Brigadier General and 73 when he died. I also didn't realize that General Bryan died just a year after Wm T Wofford. Too bad, as far as I know, neither of them ever wrote memoirs.:nah disagree:

William T. Wofford has a book I actually own it.
 
He took over command for the mortally wounded General Semmes. Then when He resigned it was to a Col. Simms who took over for him after his resignation.
Right Polloco. Paul Jones (P J) Semmes and James Phillip (J P) Simms. PJ, JP, Semmes, Simms -- no wonder people get the commanders of that brigade mixed up. And in between, it was Goode Bryan. To avoid confusion, I just call it Bryan's brigade or Bryan's old brigade. :D As rob's biography states, prior to his promotion, Goode Bryan had served as Col of the 16th GA in Wofford's brigade. But the 16th GA didn't go with him when he was promoted; they stayed in Wofford's brigade. I think I need to make a flow chart to keep up.:nah disagree:
 

Learn About Us
►About CivilWarTalk
►Contact the Webmaster
►Meet the Staff
►Link to CivilWarTalk
Join Our Community
►Register
►Browse Forums
►View Today's Discussions
►Search the Forum
Get Help
►FAQ
►Student Guide
►Forum Rules & Etiquette
►Copyright / DMCA

     Contact Us CivilwarTalk on Facebook CivilWarTalk on YouTube CivilWarTalk on Twitter RSS Feed

Bringing the American Civil War and More to Life.
© 1999 - , CIVILWARTALK, LLC - Site Version 10.0

SlaveryTalk.com - SecessionTalk.com - CivilWarTalk.com - ReconstructionTalk.com
Back
Top