1. Welcome to the CivilWarTalk, a forum for questions and discussions about the American Civil War! Become a member today for full access to all of our resources, it's fast, simple, and absolutely free!
Dismiss Notice
Join and Become a Patron at CivilWarTalk!
Support this site with a monthly or yearly subscription! Active Patrons get to browse the site Ad free!
START BY JOINING NOW!

Brunswick Bayonet.

Discussion in 'Civil War Weapons and Ammunition' started by timeout, Feb 6, 2017.

1. timeout

timeout Cadet

DSC00092.JPG

I hope someone will be able to shed some light on the matter. I bought the bayonet from a auction in Canada but I live in Ireland! I think this is a 2nd issue Brunswick Volunteer bayonet, but has a modification which I can not find a reference to. Overall length is 26.75" or 679mm blade length is 22.1" or 561mm. The side of the grip with the mortise slot has been flattened and counter stamped.with the mark N S over 51 over 8 would like to know which unit this is. Same on the otherside of the grip but this time its B over underscore 174. On the pommel the number 34 and also six lines in to lots of 3.
    I might have this wrong as to the bayonet type! maybe it was modified for some gun from the US civil war? Yet again any help most welcome.....paul.

DSC00093.JPG
    DSC00095.JPG DSC00097.JPG

Last edited by a moderator: Feb 6, 2017

2. (Membership has it privileges! To remove this ad: Register NOW!)
  3. JOHN42768

JOHN42768 First Sergeant Trivia Game Winner

Welcome, enjoy. Someone might chime in with some help.

4. Pavel

Pavel Private

Paul. It is possible Franco-Prussian War.

5. Package4

Package4 First Sergeant Trivia Game Winner

It is definitely a Brunswick, that has been altered to fit another type of rifle; the slashes on the rear of the handle are mating marks, so that the bayonet would mate with the proper rifle once altered.

Jobe Holiday and Pavel like this.
  6. timeout

timeout Cadet

This is all good stuff! thank you to Pavilel and Package4. so until we can narrow down which rifle it was used on, I will not know which units used it. thanks guys.......paul

7. Package4

Package4 First Sergeant Trivia Game Winner

You might want to try it on a Mississippi (M1841) and a two band Enfield to see if it fits, if you can find one a M1855 rifle ?

8. Jobe Holiday

Jobe Holiday First Sergeant

I wonder if this may be a "Commercial" Brunswick bayonet made for the open market and not the Crown?

It is based upon a Type 1 Brunswick bayonet, but it has 28 ribs instead of 27. The lock catch plunger is a reverse tapered solid pin rather than a broad button on a rod. Although it is common to find a "flat" around the slot, this one is quite exaggerated as if made for, or mated to, a Brunswick which wasn't quite standard. I can't see any marks on the blade ricasso. It should have a "Crown/VR/Enfield (and a date)" on one side, and inspectors marks, such as "Crown/E/6" etc. on the opposite side of the ricasso. Just some different thoughts!
    J.

johan_steele and Package4 like this.
  9. ucvrelics.com

ucvrelics.com First Sergeant Forum Host

Welcome From The Heart Of Dixie. I really can't add anything except it looks as if its been modified at least twice.

10. johan_steele

johan_steele Colonel Retired Moderator

It is not for any US arsenal manufactured arm. Keep in mind the Russians used a version of the Brunswick as well as the Brits. I agree with Jobe Holiday that it is likely a commercial manufacture instead of crown.

Jobe Holiday likes this.
  11. 7th Mississippi Infantry

7th Mississippi Infantry Major Forum Host

Hello Paul.

Welcome aboard.

You've received some great info about your bayonet.

Last edited: Feb 6, 2017
  12. timeout

timeout Cadet

Thanks guys...... there are no marks on the blade. Volunteer units had to supply their own uniforms and weapons, and as such turned to commercial market for the supply. That is in the UK.....Once the unit had bought their weapons they were then marked with the units number. If the unit was on active service and completed the tour of duty, the weapons would be sold/handed over to the next unit. Or withdrawn and passed on to second line troops, which probably had a greater array of weapon types.......Jobe..I to noticed the pin, The hole the pin comes through is quite large, but it needs to be because when pushed to operate the catch it moves a good 3/8" The release button seems to be from Constabulary Carbine Sword Bayonet, altho they were also used in the experimental Brunswick sword bayonets. That said, they changed from the button back to shaped pin type in 1848 in both Ordnance and Volunteer patterns. I never thought of counting the ribs, so it was back to the books! From what I can make out the ribs number 24-36 so non the wiser! I think the way to solve this is in the unit numbers....B underscore 174 and NS over 51 over 8.....Yet again guys Thank you all for the input....PS..... Constabulary blades were 16-17.25".....experimental 24.8" Ordnance 1837 patt 22.1" 1848 patt 21.75" Volunteer 22" mine is 22"

(Membership has it privileges! To remove this ad: Register NOW!)