US Brinski, George

George Brinski
(alternatively spelled Beniski, Benninsky, Brinske, and sometimes Berrisker)​

:us34stars:
1572728437157.png

Born: 1832 (claimed to be born George Berrisker)

Birthplace: Poland

Father: Unknown

Mother: Unknown

Wife: Mary Brinski 1839 –

Occupation before War:

Sailor for shipping lines in the Atlantic Ocean​
Sailor for Shipping lines in the Great Lakes​
Worked on ship Acme running commodities from Chicago to Buffalo​
The National Tribune. (Washington, DC), November 03, 1892, page 12.
Civil War Career:
Paid $150 as a substitute soldier for future President Grover Cleveland​
If he survived the war, he would be paid an additional $150
1572728463397.png
1863 – 1865: Private Company F, 76th New York Infantry Regiment​
1863: Enlisted on August 5th in Buffalo, New York​
1863: Wounded while working on Supply Wagon in Virginia​
Reassigned as a handyman working at different Hospitals​
1865: Discharged from service on August 11th in Elmira, New York​

Occupation after War:

Worked as a sailor and railroading​
1885: Tried to receive help from Grover Cleveland but Cleveland refused.​
1885 – 1886: Lived in the poor house in Buffalo, New York​
1886 – 1887: Lived at the Soldiers Home in Bath, New York​

Died: August 18, 1887

Place of Death: Soldiers Home, Bath, New York

Cause of Death: Consumption

Age at time of Death: 64 or 65 years old

Burial Place: Bath National Cemetery, Bath, New York

A STATEMENT BRINSKI GAVE TO THE PRESS
Article:
Middletown Daily Press (New York), November 7, 1892

My name is George Brinski, and I was born in Poland in 1822. I have sailed since I was a boy, and at the time I became a substitute for Grover Cleveland was on the propeller Acme, of Charles Ensign’s line. There was a demand for substitutes and men were looking about for fellows to go to the front. Captain Rhinehardt, of Police Station 3, Buffalo, NY, met me and asked me if I would go as a substitute for Grover Cleveland, who had been drafted, and as I had the “war fever” a little and also wanted money, I said I would.

He took me to the office of Grover Cleveland, who promised me $150 after I was sworn in, and said when I came home would help me in every way he could. After being sworn in by Squire Ryan I received the $150, all the money Mr Cleveland had, and afterwards rode to Fort Porter with Mr Cleveland and Capt Rhinehardt. From Fort Porter, I went to Elmira, thence to Ricker’s Island, thence to Alexandria, VA, where I was ordered to join the 76th N.Y. Vols, which I did.

I was in hospital service the whole time I was out. When Richmond fell, I was tending to the wounded in camp below Petersburg. I was mustered into service 6 Jul 1863, and it is a lie that Cleveland’s substitute was killed at Gettysburg.

On my return home from the war I met Mr Cleveland, and he recognized and asked me where my discharged was. I showed it to him, and then he told me to get out my papers and became a citizen. I said I thought my discharge entitled me to citizenship, but on his suggestion I went before Judge Mastin with Mr Cleveland and Capt Rhinehardt as witnesses. Showed my discharge and papers, and received my citizen papers. Mr Cleveland was running for Sheriff at that time, and he asked me to vote for him, which I did.

In August 1885, on account of hemorrhage of the lungs and defective eyesight, I was compelled to go to the poorhouse at Bufallo, NY, and left there 14 Jan 1886. Mr Cleveland was well aware of my condition, both physically and pecuniarily.

Last edited by a moderator:
1572647337789.png

Morning Appeal. (Carson City, NV), July 17, 1887, page 2.

1572647461099.png

Abilene Weekly Reflector. (Abilene, KS), July 26, 1888, page 1.

1572648033899.png

continued
1572648066810.png

The National Tribune. (Washington, DC), November 03, 1892, page 12.

Last edited by a moderator:
This is an interesting post. It's sad that Grover Cleveland did not help this man after the war financially but perhaps he did not want to bring attention to the fact that he hired a substitute to fight in his place considering the fact that many of the political leaders of that day were Civil War veterans and used their service record to win support from voters. It would sort of be like the draft dodger label that many political candidates are stuck with if they avoided service in Vietnam by using connections and other means.

Back