Lt.Arty Beginner Question

MikeyB

Sergeant
What is the technical definition or distinction between a howitzer and a napoleon/rifled gun? Are they all cannons or only the latter?

A typical gun tended to fire in a relatively flat plane (direct fire) whether it was smoothbore or rifled. A howitzer fired more at an arc which enabled it to shoot over obstacles (indirect fire) and at the far end of the spectrum is the mortar which fires at a high arc and a more limited range. Both are considered cannon but (possibly) not the mortar.

Last edited:
A typical gun tended to fire in a relatively flat plane (direct fire) whether it was smoothbore or rifled. A howitzer fired more at an arc which enabled it to shoot over obstacles (indirect fire) and at the far end of the spectrum is the mortar which fires at a high arc and a more limited range. Both are considered cannon but (possibly) not the mortar.

Thanks for the explanation.

Was an artilleryman an artilleryman an artilleryman? Or did crews, or at least the officers tend to only be trained in operation of one type of gun (mortar/howitzer/field gun)?

Thanks for the explanation.

Was an artilleryman an artilleryman an artilleryman? Or did crews, or at least the officers tend to only be trained in operation of one type of gun (mortar/howitzer/field gun)?
The key cog on the crew was the gunner as he was the one that aimed the piece and actually oversaw operations of the gun. The other personnel were trained to be able to operate at any position/positions as needed (at least that's how the Marines did it 45+ years ago). In a pinch, even infantrymen could be pressed into service to serve the piece.

In a pinch, even infantrymen could be pressed into service to serve the piece.

Here is an example of that from a record of a cavalryman.

Hoffmeistr.jpg

Well, Buckner Battery was more of a "flying artillery" for cavalry.

I think this same Alabama regiment had notes in their files that they were loaned to a ship or to some kind of construction.
In a flying or horse artillery battery everyone rode horses and in a regular artillery battery only the three /two men on the teams pulling the gun limbers or caissons rode and everyone else walked.

In a flying or horse artillery battery everyone rode horses and in a regular artillery battery only the three /two men on the teams pulling the gun limbers or caissons rode and everyone else walked.
This was part of General J. R. Chalmers' Cavalry Division. So I picture them either riding a horse, driving a wagon or pulling a gun.
What do you call the hitch that was used to pull a surrey or buggy with one horse?
I have a photo of a rig pulling a mountain howitzer---I gotta find it.

I found two photos.

The first photo is an example of the hitch that I was referring to. I wouldn't expect one horse to haul a cannon and 5 men as shown here BUT you get the idea.

Re-Battle_ 020A.jpg

This next one is a mountain howitzer hauled by 2 horses.

Re-Battle_ 027A-2_MtnHwtz-battle.jpg

Do howitzers have the ability to engage in "direct fire"? For all of those engagements where field guns are used, would howitzers have worked just as well? Can they fire off cannister? For instance, how would a group of howitzers have fared on Cemetery Ridge on day 3 versus the rifles and napoleons?

Also, while we're on the subject, what is a columbiad and how does it fit into the 3 main groups of guns?

Do howitzers have the ability to engage in "direct fire"? For all of those engagements where field guns are used, would howitzers have worked just as well? Can they fire off cannister? For instance, how would a group of howitzers have fared on Cemetery Ridge on day 3 versus the rifles and napoleons?
Howitzers can fire direct fire and strictly speaking most modern field guns are guns/howitzers as was the Napoleon. While howitzers are often shorter barreled they are still as effective at shorter ranges when used in direct fire and yes they could fire canister when used as direct fire weapons.

Last edited:
Also, while we're on the subject, what is a columbiad and how does it fit into the 3 main groups of guns?
As a gun, when you get into longer ranged weapons; they have to fire at a higher elevation as gravity affects the projectile during flight. If they fired at a flat trajectory, gravity would force the projectile down before it reached its longer ranged target.

Per Regulations, a 6-pdr Battery consisted of 4 6-pdr field guns and 2 12-pdr howitzers. The 12-pdr Howitzers were good for close range with Canister, since the larger 12-pdr canister was much more effective than the 6-pdr canister.

Ft Moultre, which guards Charleston harbor, has the finest collection of large seacoast guns including 10" Columbiads, 10" Rodmans, 8 and 10" Parrotts and a 7" Brooke. Also has 15" mounted Rodmans. The largest gun produced during the war was a 20" Rodman which fired a 1,000lb projectile using 100 pounds of powder. The barrel alone weighed 116,497 pounds. These guns can be seen today at Ft. Hamilton NY and Sandy Hook overlooking New York harbor.

Back