Authentic wedge tents

Taji04

Private
Pards,

I am looking to buy a wedge tent for the Ft Ridgely event in Minnesota this June (Sheep Farm Productions). I know nothing about them. What was the typical size? Canvas weight? Features to look for? 1 door or 2? There are quite a few vendors out there, who makes the best tent quality wise? Who has "the best bang for the buck"? Whose is the most authentic?

I would make my own, but I cannot find any prints or plans out there on the web.

Thanks for the help.

Well a wedge or A frame tent is what most reenactors use including myself. Really not authentic for field use but it's the most widely used for reasons of comfort and a bit of privacy and to get your gear out of the weather. Also my other half likes to come sometimes so I have to make it somewhat comfortable for her. The one I currently use I bought from Blockade Runner, blockaderunner.com. They do a nice job with their tents and prices are pretty good and they offer a complete set up kit if you don't feel like dealing with making poles. The size just depends on how much gear you bring, or if you are sharing with someone. I would highly recommend a 2 door. It's a little easier to put up, doesn't matter which way it's facing, and in hot weather allows for some airflow. Now if you wanted to really be authentic and don't mind sleeping on the ground you could consider getting shelter halves.

Thanks for the insight. BR is on my list of tents to consider. Since this tent will cost a bit, I don't want a "swing and a miss"; I want to get it right the first go. What influenced you to go with BR?

We do enough public events to justify the purchase; and at EBFU events, well a shelter half is it. I do have a dog tent (2 halves) that I use for most events, but the Ft Ridgely event is specified company tents only, so a wedge is what I am looking to use. Along with a Marcy field cot that I will make from AJ Hamler's book.

Thanks for the insight. BR is on my list of tents to consider. Since this tent will cost a bit, I don't want a "swing and a miss"; I want to get it right the first go. What influenced you to go with BR?

We do enough public events to justify the purchase; and at EBFU events, well a shelter half is it. I do have a dog tent (2 halves) that I use for most events, but the Ft Ridgely event is specified company tents only, so a wedge is what I am looking to use. Along with a Marcy field cot that I will make from AJ Hamler's book.
I went with BR simply because I am familiar with them and already had a BR tent I was happy with. My first go to sutlers if I need something online are either BR or Regimental Quartermaster. I leaned toward BR because I needed it in a hurry and they had what I wanted in stock and also offered the complete set up kit so I was ready to go to the field when I got it. Go with a 2 door, the few extra dollars are worth every penny in hot weather. If you choose BR I'm sure you'll be happy with it although all the big sutlers tents are very similar. I'm sure Regimental's are nice and one of our guys down here just got a new tent from Fall Creek that looked pretty nice. I didn't ask if your doing US or CS. I assume a garrison at a fort up there you're Federal. While on the subject of tents here's a good article on Confederate tents https://www.libertyrifles.org/research/uniforms-equipment/confederate-tents

If you have your copy of the CRRC there is a chapter on the A tent, page 177. The dimensions are 6'-10" high, 6'-10" long, and 8'-4" wide. One door, and a sod cloth. I haven't found a vendor that has this exact dimensions but I think Yakima tent seems to be the most correct. I am also going to try and use my table saw and cut the orthogonal uprights, we'll see how that goes.

-Tim S

Back