August 6 National Root Beer Float Day

donna

Brev. Brig. Gen'l
Forum Host
At the end of the 19th century, Frank Wisner invented the first root beer float. He was gazing out his window at night in Cripple Creek, Colorado and was inspired to float a scoop of vanilla ice cream on top of his glass of root beer. It became known as a "black cow".

Today root beer floats are much enjoyed. One of the best can be bought from A and W root beer. So let's celebrate and have a root beer float today. Sounds yummy to me.

At the end of the 19th century, Frank Wisner invented the first root beer float. He was gazing out his window at night in Cripple Creek, Colorado and was inspired to float a scoop of vanilla ice cream on top of his glass of root beer. It became known as a "black cow".

Today root beer floats are much enjoyed. One of the best can be bought from A and W root beer. So let's celebrate and have a root beer float today. Sounds yummy to me.
images (8).jpg Hats off to A&W for benefiting Wounded Warrior Project.

diane I know it is so good. It is just we don't have an A&W near us.

Many years ago the one here was turned into a Chinese restaurant and there's no more close. Another I miss from when I was young is Arctic Circle. Their chicken wearing a cowboy hat just got to me! :laugh: Good food, especially their fish and special sauce. I think theirs was the Original! Maybe I'm just old but it does seem that the fast food back then was tastier and prepared with more care. I got one hamburger just the other day from Burger King where they'd put the meat part of the bun in one side of the container and the lettuce and tomato part of the bun in the other side and slammed it shut! What a mess... :confused:

12 oz of root beer and 1oz spiced rum. I call it a Jack Sparrow Soda. Drinking it right now, and it's awesome! All you over 21 gotta try it.

Um...am I allowed to talk about hard drinks on here? :O o:
Well Lt. Drake, you've got me thinking about possible new cocktails involving root beer. As far as an adult beverage spinn on the traditional root beer float . . . I may experiment with something along the lines of a White Russian. :smoke:

Last edited by a moderator:
Not a bad idea. Spiced rum works really well because of the similarity in the flavors. The root beer masks the taste of the rum, and the spiced rum gives the root beer more of a vanilla taste. I use Kraken rum. You want something to mix good cocktails with, use Kraken. It's also good if you wanna really wreck your ship. Release the kraken! :D

Back