History Apple Crisp

donna

Brev. Brig. Gen'l
Forum Host
Apple Crisp or Apple Crumble is another delicious dessert for Fall. It is a dessert made of baked apples topped with a crisp streusel crust.

The earliest recipe was posted in 1924 "Everybody's Cook Book: A Comprehensive Manual of Home Cookery" by Isabel Ely Lord. There was also a recipe for Apple Crisp in a newspaper article in the "Appleton Post Crescent" on Dec. 9, 1924.

Since those first publications of the recipe, it has become a very popular dessert in the U.S., especially during Fall.

Apple Crisp with Granola Topping

Filling

10 medium apples
1 cup sugar
1 tablespoon flour
1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
1/2 cup water

Topping

1 cup cinnamon raisin granola
1 cup all purpose flour
1 cup brown sugar
1/4 teaspoon baking powder
1/2 cup melted butter

Heat oven to 350 degrees. To make filling, peel, core and slice apples. Mix sugar, flour and cinnamon. Spread over apples and drizzle 1/2 cup water over all.
Combine granola, flour, brown sugar, baking powder and butter in a bowl. Mix to combine evenly and crumble over apples. Bake 45 minutes or until golden brown. Serve warm with whipped cream or vanilla ice cream.

Remember leftovers are good for breakfast.

Recipe from: "Chef's Choice", "Kentucky Living Magazine", October. 2015.

(Membership has it privileges! To remove this ad: Register NOW!)

donna

Brev. Brig. Gen'l
Forum Host
There are several variations of Apple Desserts. They are not so much variants, but actually separate apple desserts. Some types are Apple Brown Betty, Apple Cobbler, Apple Slump. Apple Grunt, Apple Pandowdy, Apple Crumble, and Eve's Pudding.

I know several have been posted about on the Food Forum.

Here is a new one to add to the list, it is called Secret Ingredient Apple Dumpling.
2 - whole granny smith apples
2 8oz. Cans crescent rolls
2 - sticks butter
1/2 cup sugar
1 - tsp vanilla extract
Cinnamon to taste
1-12oz. Can mountain dew soda
Preheat oven to 350°
Peel and core apples.cut each apple into 8 slices.roll each slice in a piece of crescent roll dough.place into 9 x 13 baking pan.
Melt butter, then add butter and lightly stir.add vanilla and stir mixture.pour in the mixture over the apples pour the mountain dew around the edges of the pan.sprinkle with cinnamon and bake at 350 for about 40mins.serve with ice cream and spoon some of sauce over the top.

donna

Brev. Brig. Gen'l
Forum Host
An easy Apple Crisp recipe:

4 cups apples, sliced
1 teaspoon cinnamon
1/4 cup water
1/2 teaspoon water
1/2 teaspoon salt

Topping

1 cup flour
1/2 cup oatmeal
1 cup brown sugar
1/2 cup butter

Mix apples and other ingredients together. Pour into greased 8 x 8 x 2 inch pan. Mix topping ingredients together and sprinkle over apple mixture. Bake at 350 degrees for 40 minutes.

AnnaLee

Sergeant
I have an old "Apple Crisp" recipe where oats are not added to topping, which I prefer. You mix some lemon juice and water together to sprinkle over apples instead of plain water. Also, I sometimes add nuts to the topping mixture and chop up the apples into pieces rather than slices. I like more cinnamon and add 2 tsp. I usually use dark brown sugar in baking, it's richer in flavor. Oven temp is 375 x 45 min. My grandson who is 12 loves this dessert.