Ambrotype?

Maximus71

Private
Hi All, I believe this is an Ambrotype, my first one, solid spine and latch, nice photo of a union officer I believe, if you can give any more help or info on this item it would be appreciated. Thanks for looking.

IMG_20191220_162826053.jpg

IMG_20191220_162623863.jpg

IMG_20191220_162642786.jpg

IMG_20191220_162702818.jpg

IMG_20191220_162813050.jpg

Welcome From THE Heart Of Dixie. Nice image. Why do you think its an Ambrotype and not a Tintype?

Thanks for the replys guys, I'm not sure what it is, I assumed Ambrotype from research on what was most popular during the civil war period, I'm definitely not an expert in this field.
Take it out of the case and if its on glass its an ambrotype if its on metal its a tintype.

It's pretty snug inside the case , I have no idea how to take it out and don't want to mess it up at all, there is a slight crease down the center, I think it is a tin type, the gilding to the buttons and sword are painted on, maybe I can test it with a magnet ?

Best thing to do is take a flat head screwdriver or a butter knife and place it between the brass mat and the velvet edge then lift the mat up.

The whole thing should come apart in two pieces.

The mat and glass should be one peice and the case itself along with the photograph should be another.

Then the photograph should be very easy to take out of the case to examine all without any damage to the case.

Maybe if you're lucky you might have some writing on the back telling you who this officer was.

I wouldn't do anything with a magnet.

Best thing to do is take a flat head screwdriver or a butter knife and place it between the brass mat and the velvet edge then lift the mat up.

The whole thing should come apart in two pieces.

The mat and glass should be one peice and the case itself along with the photograph should be another.

Then the photograph should be very easy to take out of the case to examine all without any damage to the case.

Maybe if you're lucky you might have some writing on the back telling you who this officer was.

I wouldn't do anything with a magnet.
No, the mat,glass and photo come out as one piece . The mat is what holds the glass and photo together. Just gently pry up on the mat between it and the case and it should come out fairly easy.

Welcome to the forums!
It looks like there are small spots of RUST on the image itself - since glass doesn't rust this is probably a tintype. Be extremely careful if you do choose to remove it from its frame, and don't try to take the "package" of photo and brass mat held by the "preserver" apart. Once removed from the case you can easily see the back of the photo and can tell whether or not its the metal plate of a tintype. @Johnny_Reb_1865 is right - I found the name of a Federal sergeant from Wisconsin on a small paper label inside one of my tintypes! Before doing anything you might want to check out my old thread:

I can't make it out, but it's definitely a tintype with period handwriting inside - congratulations! Obviously he wasn't born in 1856, but it could be a graduation or wedding date, and the word before John *might* be Maj. for the rank of Major. Although he's wearing the single-breasted uniform frock coat of a captain or lieutenant in the photo, he might've achieved the rank of major during the war.

Last edited:
...the word before John *might* be Maj. for the rank of Major. Although he's wearing the single-breasted uniform frock coat of a captain or lieutenant in the photo, he might've achieved the rank of major during the war.

In 1856, which war would that have been? Mexican war had ended in 1848.

Thanks for the info, I am going to try to get better pictures and run them through different filters to see if I can make the writing stand out more. So May 7 1856 is not the date the picture was taken?

Thanks for the info, I am going to try to get better pictures and run them through different filters to see if I can make the writing stand out more. So May 7 1856 is not the date the picture was taken?
Not unless he was a member of the Regular army, since the dates for the war (the most likely time this was taken) are 1861-1865. Besdes, in 1860 the tintype process was still very new and ambrotypes were most common in 1856.

Boy, there's not much there. I maybe see:

Mr. John...E..Mesher....(name)

--------th......................(city?)

........... ------..................(state?)

May 7,....1856..............(date)

Here’s a stretch; there is a John Mesher listed in "Pensioners On The Roll" January 1, 1883 Volume III - 1883 Washington Government Printing Office:

"Massac County, Illinois | John Mesher | wd. Forehead | monthly rate 10.00"

Last edited:
Here is the best I can do with the name ....John is clear, then middle initial of E maybe, what comes before John or the last name is the head scratcher...maybe some fresh eyes can see something I don't.

IMG_20191223_211236899.jpg

IMG_20191223_211242835.jpg

IMG_20191223_211252246.jpg

Back