3rd Model Burnside with initials - any way to ID?

Wraith_3

Private
This Burnside is from my dad's collection and it has the initials "WTM" on the stock. He never got a chance to try to ID the soldier. From what I've read, the only way to find a soldier's ID or the unit a weapon was issued to is if you're lucky enough for that weapon to be on one of the records that are still around. I just want to see if there's any way to find the soldier/unit. Does this add or detract from the value since it's on there, but I don't have the soldier's identity? Also does anyone know what the "1" and "U" on the underside of the stock are?

DSC02475.JPG

DSC02478.JPG

DSC02479.JPG

ucvrelics

Colonel
Forum Host
Regtl. Quartermaster Shiloh 2020
Its very hard to nail down 3 initials on a stock as you don't know if they are war done or post war done. The only way to tell is if it shows up in the Springfield Research serial# data base of unit it was issued to then lookup all the names in the unit. It really doesn't add to or take away and value.

Jeff in Ohio

Sergeant
I once owned a Colt 1860 revolver which I know was issued to one of Kentucky's one-year cavalry regiments, enlisted to counter invasion of the state, which had three initials scratched into the butt.
This was a short-serving unit, had few casualties, and so few replacements, and I had a list of all the men in that unit.
I thought, "I can figure out who had this Colt."
But I found more than half a dozen men with these three initials in that unit!

ibgreen

Private
I echo the above. Your only outside chance is if I shows up in the springfield register but even if it does, lots of arms were re-issued or of course these may have been marked post war. I am fortunate to have acquired a Spencer rifle that was engraved professionally as a private purchase for a Tennessee Captain.

Wraith_3

Private
Thanks, that's pretty much what I thought. I would actually love to keep it if my mom didn't need the money because it has one of the neatest breech mechanisms ever!