24th Georgia Infantry

@Kyle R , These rosters show C C Sanders as Col Robert McMillan's successor. I thought it was a recommendation but it's just stating facts. But still pretty neat.

Col McMillan Roster.JPG
Col R McMillan Service Roster.JPG

View attachment 183518 View attachment 183519 View attachment 183520 View attachment 183521
The 24th Georgia gets ready - (Southern Watchman, August 21, 1861, page 2).

At least part of the 24th Georgia, the right center regiment of the brigade as it moved forward at about 6:40 p.m. on July 2, was reportedly delayed slightly in the initial advance, attributed to being caught up within Capt. Taylor's guns and caissons, but by double quicking after extricating itself, it probably had resumed its place in line by the time the brigade reached the Emmitsburg road some 550 yards distant. Both Longstreet and McLaws were close by, and were passed by the right flank regiment (18th Georgia) as it neared the road, as reported by Capt. Lemon, commanding the right company of the 18th, who passed within yards of those two generals. The 24th was just to the left of the 18th, which would put Longstreet within 100 yards of the 24th Georgia at that moment. However, Capt. Chandler rightfully took umbrage at the inference that the 24th had faltered in the face of the enemy. Various obstacles on the field - stone walls, stout fences, etc. - often disrupted an advancing line, but it was no reflection on the courage of the soldiers.

"P. W. A." also came under severe criticism for casting similar aspersions on the Florida brigade, claiming it did not advance beyond the Emmitsburg road on July 2, which was likewise far from the truth.

"P. W. A." also came under severe criticism for casting similar aspersions on the Florida brigade, claiming it did not advance beyond the Emmitsburg road on July 2, which was likewise far from the truth.

For those who may be interested, the war correspondent commonly known as "P.W.A." was Peter Wellington Alexander. Alexander served as a correspondent for the Savannah Republican, a newspaper which he had previously served as editor. In 2002, a guy named William B. Styple discovered Alexander’s letters and manuscripts at the Columbia University Rare Book & Manuscript Library. Some of the items were edited/published in Writing & Fighting the Confederate War: The Letters of Peter Wellington Alexander, Confederate War Correspondent. Here is a link to PWA's Find-A-Grave memorial https://old.findagrave.com/cgi-bin/fg.cgi?page=gr&GRid=26619084

Last edited:
The following is a conversation between @lelliott19 and myself reference Wofford and Sanders. I placed it here as it pertains to Colonel C C Sanders.

@lelliott19 wrote: "Also, at the Battle of Cedar Creek in 1864, C C Sanders is listed as commanding the brigade. Wofford was badly injured Aug 16 at Guard Hill when his horse was shot from under him. He regained his feet and escaped. According to the Reynolds diary, Wofford was still with the brigade on Aug 27, 1864, but his injury was bad that I believe Wofford was left behind at Gordonsville Sept 23/24 1864 when Kershaw's Division was ordered back to Early in the Valley. Wondering if you have any definitive information that confirms that Wofford was left behind at Gordonsville? His medical furlough is dated October 18, 1864, but I think he remained at Gordonsville.

Kyle R replied: "Good Morning: reference Wofford being left behind in Gordonsville. According to his file on Fold 3, Wofford was placed on 30 days "sick leave" which expired October 18, 1864. This would place the start of his leave on or about September 18, 1864 and supports the fact that he would not have returned to the Valley with Kershaw's Division. I placed the information under the 24th Georgia thread. Let me know what you think. Kyle"

In my notes I have written: "Kershaw rejoined Early on the 26th. General Wofford, still feeling the effects of the injury at Guard Hill when his horse was shot out from underneath him, remained behind. On October 18, Wofford was granted sick leave and returned to Georgia. In his place Colonel Sanders would once again take command of the brigade." For some reason I did not cite the source but I think it came from: One of the Most Daring of men: The Life of Confederate General William Wofford (Journal of Confederate History Series) by Gerald J Smith. I will verify.

From Fold 3, Wofford's sick leave documentation, Wofford had not returned to the brigade as of December 28, 1864:
Wofford Sick Leave.JPG

On the same date (December 28, 1864) from Fold 3, document states 'heard nothing of him (Wofford)."
Wofford Sick Leave 2.JPG

From my notes: "On December 15, 1864, the 16th Georgia surgeon noted in his diary, “in freezing weather and snow in many places…Col Sanders deliver’d his farewell to the Brigd & returned to his regiment 24th Ga Infy.”440"
440 Diary of Lt. Robert Pooler Myers, Eleanor S. Brockenbrough Library, Museum of the Confederacy, unpublished work. Transcribed by Megan Snedegar, Museum intern, and Betsy Cole, Museum volunteer.

@lelliott19 - hit post reply to soon in my response above. From Fold 3 documents, show Colonel Sanders is in command of Wofford's brigade - November 28, 1864 inspection report remarks, "signs report as C C Sanders Col cmding Brigade".

In summary, according to the Fold 3 records, Wofford was placed on sick leave on or about September 18, 1864 for 30 days. As of the December 28, 1864 inspection report, Wofford had not reported back to the brigade. Colonel Sanders was placed in command of the brigade during Kershaw's return to the valley and the November 28, 1864 inspection report confirms he was still in command of the brigade. The 16th Georgia surgeon noted in his diary that Colonel Sanders delivered his farewell to the brigade and returned to the regiment on December 15, 1864. However, according to rosters in the Official Records, Sanders would remain in command of the brigade until February 1865.

Thoughts?

Attachments

• Sanders Commanding BDE 1864 2.pdf
    86.7 KB · Views: 81
Who commanded the 24th Georgia at Gettysburg? In an earlier post I provided a newspaper article in which Captain J. N. Chandler provided a rebuttal of the regiments reported delay on July 2, 1863. Chandler signs the rebuttal "commanding" the regiment. This raises the questions as to who actually commanded the regiment as Colonel McMillan was on furlough for medical reasons and Captain Chandler signs his August 5, 1863 rebuttal as commanding. There is nothing in Lieutenant Colonel Sanders military documents (Fold 3) that would indicate he was not at Gettysburg. A possible answer is Sanders was at Gettysburg, however, given the heat may have suffered from heat exhaustion - before, during or after the fight. My best guess is Sanders suffered from heat exhaustion during the fight at Antietam, thus, Lieutenant Colonel McRae (15th NC) states Sanders was "unwell", McRae took command from Sanders and filed the official report. Once you suffer from heat exhaustion you are more susceptible to the effects again, more so than someone who has not suffered the set back. I continue to dig to find an answer to this, however, at this point nothing concrete.

Thoughts?

Southern Watchman. September 4, 1861. Page 3..JPG

The regiment field officer election results as reported by the Southern Watchman on September 4, 1861 (Presented online by the Digital Library of Georgia).

Death by firing squad:
Rome Tri-Weekly Courier. February 23, 1864. Page 2..JPG

Today I witnessed one of those painful scenes which some times takes place in the army – viz shooting a soldier to death with musketry – his crime was ‘attempt to desert’ – after the subject was shot I walked to the body and in about two or three moments life was xtinct – He was a member of the 24th Ga Infantry.”446
446 Diary of Lt. Robert Pooler Myers, Eleanor S. Brockenbrough Library, Museum of the Confederacy, unpublished work. Transcribed by Megan Snedegar, Museum intern, and Betsy Cole, Museum volunteer.

Yesterday I had a painful duty to perform. A Pvt. of our Brigade, 24th Georgia Regiment was shot for desertion and I had to play a Dead March from the guardhouse to the place of execution. It was a very solemn and affecting scene. The prisoner seemed willing to die; he was firm and resigned and received the fatal bullets fired by his countrymen like a man. God grant I may never witness another such spectacle.”401
401 Richard M. Coffman and Kurt D. Graham, To Honor These Men: A History of the Phillips Georgia Legion Infantry Battalion, (Mercer University Press, Macon, Georgia, 2007), 455. The private was W.H. Tanner of Company K. His court-martial was April 4, 1864 but no charges were listed.

The 24th Georgia led the brigade in soldiers’ courts martial with 34. The 3rd Battalion Georgia Sharpshooters courts martial 6 (Private Youngblood twice), the 16th Georgia had 16, 18th Georgia 23, Cobb’s Legion 14 and Phillip’s Legion 25.411 Three of the five death sentences were handed down to soldiers’ in the 24th Georgia.
411 Jack A. Bunch, Roster of the Courts Martial in the Confederate States Armies, (Shippensburg, PA, White Mane Books, 2001) 

Back