Impressions Your Impression

In camp relax wears here, Forrests 3rd Tenn cavalry, B company
Screenshot_20191008-221647_Snapchat.jpg

Hello All,
I figured this would be a good place for everyone to post what their impressions are and ways they are looking to improve their impressions. We are here to get better and to educate so please keep the posts cordial. Here is mine, I am a portraying a Sgt. in the 2nd Rhode Island Co. B. Things I would like to improve on are the small little things of my impression, proper "haverstack stuffers" proper camp life and also just the proper vocabulary for the time period. I am also looking to lose a few pounds to make my body type more appropriate for the time period as well.

View attachment 332565

Everything looks great.

Although I'd lose a few pounds honestly.
(I'm trying that myself).

Someone else mentioned your belt and I felt the need to point out that as a Sargent you are considered to be a Non Commissioned Officer and as such you wear an NCO belt.

Hello All,
I figured this would be a good place for everyone to post what their impressions are and ways they are looking to improve their impressions. We are here to get better and to educate so please keep the posts cordial. Here is mine, I am a portraying a Sgt. in the 2nd Rhode Island Co. B. Things I would like to improve on are the small little things of my impression, proper "haverstack stuffers" proper camp life and also just the proper vocabulary for the time period. I am also looking to lose a few pounds to make my body type more appropriate for the time period as well.

View attachment 332565

Here's my impression.

1551244620734.png

IMG_20190228_220851978~01.jpg

This is not one of my current impressions. I was looking at some of my old uniforms in my closet and found this treasure. This was my first uniform (not hat and accruements) that I started the hobby with in 1991. I thought it would be fun to get a picture today as a throwback. My first hat was a gray hat blank complete with turkey feather!!!

DSC_0295.JPG

How about a nice Civilian lady? This dress is linen..and yes, they did use linen in dresses during this time..just kinda rare..I do music..

Looks like a fair impression to me. In my CW music impression I've attempted to ditch the 3-ring binder and only use printouts of period sheet music (slightly yellowed) from which I play in view of an audience. LoC has great digital files to make these from. I lightly pencil in guitar/banjo chords. I've also made up hand signs of refrains only which I have one of the audience hold up for sing-alongs. And I keep a spare set of sheet music and a spare stand for any fellow musician I can snag. I use a period-looking wooden music stand when I can.

I'd greatly appreciate any hints you have for me in this impression, and you can be sure I'll stop by and maybe sit-in at yours (only if wanted!) if I happen upon it.

1576024477398.png

Last edited:
Looks like a fair impression to me. In my CW music impression I've attempted to ditch the 3-ring binder and only use printouts of period sheet music (slightly yellowed) from which I play in view of an audience. LoC has great digital files to make these from. I lightly pencil in guitar/banjo chords. I've also made up hand signs of refrains only which I have one of the audience hold up for sing-alongs. And I keep a spare set of sheet music and a spare stand for any fellow musician I can snag. I use a period-looking wooden music stand when I can.

I'd greatly appreciate any hints you have for me in this impression, and you can be sure I'll stop by and maybe sit-in at yours (only if wanted!) if I happen upon it.

View attachment 338025
Any time you want to join me, should we cross paths! For now the three ring is working for me, although I may switch it out to a black binder...this way I can add music as I go, and it’s organized and won’t blow away!!

Here's my main Confederate impression, Red River Campaign, that I have NOT been able to use since I made the uniform because officers playing politics, and me not getting out to reenactments as much as I want to over the past four years has resulted in me always being Union. I know the snow is incorrect for that campaign, but it was snow and I've never reenacted in snow, so we'll say winter 1863-1864.

The uniform is a white jean jacket, more commutation than depot and not entirely correct for it other than color an material, and B&G kersey depot trousers. Not a super accurate impression, but a progressive one. Also excuse the weight and the long hair, I was going through a phase.

20180116_152316.jpg

20180116_152413 (2).jpg

Buglers I've talked to have an issue with that British-style short bugle for ACW impression. What do you know about it?
Well, it's considerably harder to play than the US regulation type. It is considerably shorter, thus has a higher tone to it. And the high notes are the hardest to play. It is playable, but it doesn't have that nice deep, clear tone that the regulation bugles have. Also, quite a few reenactors have the idea that this type of bugle wasn't used in the war. I have played on several occasions a small bugle made by the John Church Co in Cincinnati OH. It was used by the bugler of the 37th Indiana Infantry. It is of the British style, a bit smaller in fact. It is VERY challenging to play, but it is doable. So the answer is, yes, that type of bugle was used by both sides during the war.

This is a good place to mention that it was expected by regulation that when in uniform the neck button should always be fastened.

Is the reenactorism to do that or not to do that? Hot sweaty reenactors with big necks being told to keep their necks buttoned up want to know.

Pretty sure it happened, not just the regulation as mentioned, but also there is original uniforms to consider. A lot of them are missing buttons, but tend to have that top button, and on top of that there is a Trans-Mississippi 1st Lt. uniform from an Arkansas regiment or Missouri, (depending on where you read its history) that is pristine and was made with only one button, and its at the top.

To this is a good example of the button at the top debate. Also it has no topstitching, something so many people believe every uniform had.

This is a good place to mention that it was expected by regulation that when in uniform the neck button should always be fastened.

Is the reenactorism to do that or not to do that? Hot sweaty reenactors with big necks being told to keep their necks buttoned up want to know.
I make it a point in my unit to have everyone button their top button and leave the rest unbuttoned if we are in formation and it is a hot day. I was told when I first started it was in the regulations and have held on to that ever sense.

Well, the top button thing is iffy. Sometimes men wore their blouses buttoned only at the neck, and sometimes they didn't. My own take is that the garment is pretty comfortable that way, and you can access your pockets easily. I almost never wear my frock that way - it's far more dashing only buttoned halfway up from the bottom. This is me, cropped from a larger photo taken at Shenandoah 64:
shenandoah64 - Edited.jpg

Back