What do you know? Please share!

I won't be much help on anything. I'm just amazed at the brilliance of those who post here. Thanks for helping me to become a little bit smarter.
I know that's right. Everything I know now about where to look started with someone here pointing me in the right direction.

For years, I have been interested in Mississippi regiments and battles. I've been reading and studying about the battles in North Mississippi and West Tennessee which usually involves cavalry operations so I've learned some about them. I had to learn some about Tennessee regiments as well. I have a few resources to help me understand the organizations of these cavalry units. I don't get into the details of they type of weapons they used. I am interested in uniforms which were not so "uniform".
I'm like BDTex---I like to research soldiers' service records and the names on graves.

I must have missed that thread. Ancestry is a good source for Texas State Troops personal information. The muster records of TST veterans are sourced in Ancestry.
The issue was whether someone serving in TST counted as having served in the CSA. The thread is here -

The issue was whether someone serving in TST counted as having served in the CSA. The thread is here -

That is a great question. In North Carolina, members of the home guard are not CS, although occasionally one will show up in US prison records.

I've gotten pretty good at researching individual soldiers and their families using a combination of Ancestry, fold3, NPS database and FindAGrave.
Pretty much the same. I also have access to Newspapers.com.

Otherwise, I research the 22nd Kentucky Volunteer Infantry and it's men. I have a Virtual Cemetery of over 300 names from the 22nd Ky. I also use Archive.org quite a bit and fairly good at Civil War records on Ancestry.

Back