What carbine is this?

scooter748driver

2nd Lieutenant
Forum Host
Joined
Aug 26, 2021
Location
North Carolina
The painting First at Manassas by Don Troiani, shows the moment when the First Virginia Cavalry charged the 11th New York Infantry on the left flank of Jacksons infantry on the afternoon of July 21, 1861.

I understand that Don Troiani makes every effort to have his paintings be historically accurate and does extensive research as part of the process. For example, in this painting many of the Confederate cavalry are wielding Virginia sabers that were made in the early-mid 1800's for state armories. Given that background, I assume that the all weapons depicted in this painting are period correct. However, I cannot identify the carbine being fired by this trooper.

Any ideas on what it might be?

troiani.jpg
 
The painting First at Manassas by Don Troiani, shows the moment when the First Virginia Cavalry charged the 11th New York Infantry on the left flank of Jacksons infantry on the afternoon of July 21, 1861.

I understand that Don Troiani makes every effort to have his paintings be historically accurate and does extensive research as part of the process. For example, in this painting many of the Confederate cavalry are wielding Virginia sabers that were made in the early-mid 1800's for state armories. Given that background, I assume that the all weapons depicted in this painting are period correct. However, I cannot identify the carbine being fired by this trooper.

Any ideas on what it might be?

View attachment 464686
Sharps Straight Breach Carbine.
W1484A.jpg
 

Learn About Us
►About CivilWarTalk
►Contact the Webmaster
►Meet the Staff
►Link to CivilWarTalk
Join Our Community
►Register
►Browse Forums
►View Today's Discussions
►Search the Forum
Get Help
►FAQ
►Student Guide
►Forum Rules & Etiquette
►Copyright / DMCA

     Contact Us CivilwarTalk on Facebook CivilWarTalk on YouTube CivilWarTalk on Twitter RSS Feed

Bringing the American Civil War and More to Life.
© 1999 - , CIVILWARTALK, LLC - Site Version 10.0

SlaveryTalk.com - SecessionTalk.com - CivilWarTalk.com - ReconstructionTalk.com
Back
Top