WBtS Game Archives

31. Two states seceded in May 1861: Arkansas on May 6 and North Carolina on May 20.
32. Is this a trick question? Andrew Sidney Johnston never assumed command. Albert Sidney Johnston did on Sept. 15, 1861.
33. Commander James H. Ward
34. Jan. 8, 1861, about midnight.
35. Judith Henry at the Henry House Hill at First Bull Run.

31) 2 - Arkansas and North Carolina
32) He assumed command of the very large Dept#2 on 15 Sept. 1861
33) Cdr. James H. Ward
34) 9 Jan. 1861
35) Mrs. Judith Henry

31. Three states (Virginia, Arkansas, and North Carolina) seceded in May 1861.

32. Aha! A trick question! The correct answer is never. Albert Sidney Johnston assumed command on Sept. 15, 1861, but nobody named Andrew Sidney Johnston ever commanded the Confederate forces in the West.

<strike>33. Don't know</strike>

34. The first shots were fired at the Star of the West on Jan. 9, 1861.

35. Judith Henry was the first woman killed.

(Message edited by admin on February 28, 2004)

Mike, There is a problem with #31, as the answer could either be 2 or 3 depending on what date is used for the secession of Tennessee. The legislature voted to go out on May 7, 61 but that had to be voted on by the people and was formally done on June 8, 61.
Thanks,
RR

31.Two being Arkansas and North Carolina, unless you add Tennessee for Three, which didn't officially secede by voter approval until June 8, 1861; but TN's legislature approved on May 7, 1861.

32. September 15, 1861

33. James H. Ward

34. January 9, 1861

35. Judith Henry

Yesterday I got an email from one of our members, it looks like I goofed up, I guess I forgot to post trivia last Saturday, but no-one reminded me. Sorry bout that. The new puppy is eating up a lot of my attention, plus work's been crazy, it's been like working in the Twilight Zone all week.

Oh well, I'll try to make it up to you this Saturday.

Here are this week's questions:

36) Who said: "Grant says the Confederates, in their endeavors to get men, have robbed the cradle and the grave; if that is the case, I must say their ghosts and babies fight well!" (2 points)

37) Who wrote: "I have a question put to me often: 'Is not a Negro as good as a White man to stop a bullet?' Yes, and a sand bag is better." (1 point)

38) Who wrote that: "The line that connects an army with it's base of supplies is the Heel of the Achilles -- its most vital and vulnerable spot." (2 points)

39) Who's favorite aphorism was "My duty is to obey orders." (1 point)

40) Who commented that, "Men bred as soldiers have no fancy for orders that carry want of faith on their face." (2 points)

This trivia game is open to new players, it's free, and you may join the game at any time. You need to register as a member of the message boards to play. If you haven't already joined the message board, please click the "Profile" link at the top of the page, and then choose "Registration". Follow the prompts and when you finish you will be able to post your answer in the "Add a Message" box below. Thanks!

GOOD LUCK!

Since we only have two answers, I'm going to extend this trivia to tomorrow, and see if we get a few more entries.

(Message edited by civilwartalk on March 06, 2004)

The Davis Guard Medal made for him by Chas. Gottchalk, that was issued to the troops of Lt. Dick Dowling at the Battle of Sabine Pass, Texas. One was given to Pres. Davis but it was confiscated by Gen. Wilson after Davis' capture. It was obtained in 1875 and re-presented to Davis at that Texas State Fair.
RR

Back