1. Welcome to the CivilWarTalk, a forum for questions and discussions about the American Civil War! Become a member today for full access to all of our resources, it's fast, simple, and absolutely free!
Dismiss Notice
Join and Become a Patron at CivilWarTalk!
Support this site with a monthly or yearly subscription! Active Patrons get to browse the site Ad free!
START BY JOINING NOW!

History "The Sloppy Joe"

Discussion in 'Foods of the Civil War' started by donna, Jan 6, 2017.

1. donna

donna Brev. Brig. Gen'l Forum Host

Our family loves Sloppy Joes. It is a great meal for a cold winter day, like we are having here in Ky.

According to many food historians the Sloppy Joe dates back to 1930. It was invented by a cook named Joe in a Sioux City, Iowa café., as a loose meat sandwich.

By the 1940s it was mentioned in cookbooks and food columns in newspapers. By 1969 the Manwich Sauce came into production by ConAgra and Hunts. It is used by many, including myself in making a sloppy Joe sandwich. I find it tasty and has a zing to it. As the slogan goes "A sandwich is a sandwich but a Manwich is a meal".

2. (Membership has it privileges! To remove this ad: Register NOW!)
  3. nitrofd

nitrofd Colonel Forum Host

I really love sloppy joe's but my is not a big fan.Manwich is really good for a product straight out of a can.the way I like mine is to have it on a nice fresh onion roll.

AshleyMel and JohnW. like this.
  4. donna

Sloppy Joe recipe from "The Boone County Recorder", Food Column, Jan. 5, 2017.

1 lb lean ground beef
    1/4 cup finely diced onion
    1/2 of a finely diced bell pepper
    12 ounce bottle of chili sauce
    brown sugar to taste, about 3 tablespoons

Sauté beef, onion and bell pepper until beef is cooked. Add remaining ingredients. Bring to a gentle boil. Lower to simmer for a few minutes.

diane, John Winn, JohnW. and 2 others like this.
  5. RobertP

RobertP Major

Sloppy Joes are big in our house too. We always have them open faced with a melted cheese slice on top. But lately MrsP has been filling a baked potato with sloppy Joe mixture and I love it!

6. donna

The baked potato with sloppy joe mixture sounds delicious. I will have to try that one.

JohnW., AshleyMel and nitrofd like this.
  7. nitrofd

That does sound like a really good way to go.must try.

AshleyMel and JohnW. like this.
  8. nitrofd

As a point of interest the Sloppy Joe goes by some other names,they are:
    Toasted Devil Hamburger
    Chopped Meat Sandwiches
    Hamburger Ala Creole
    Beef Mironton
    Minced Beef Spanish Style

9. Anna Elizabeth Henry

Anna Elizabeth Henry 2nd Lieutenant Silver Patron

Haven't had a Sloppy Joe in ages! Will have to revisit this yummy Manwich meal! I know my aunt makes it with ground turkey instead of beef for health reasons and her family it enjoys it that way, but I know she adds some dashes of hot sauce to the Manwich base to jazz it up some more! :tongue:

10. AshleyMel

AshleyMel Sergeant

I have a wonderful Sloppy Joe recipe for the crock pot! I'll post when I can take a moment to find the book it is in and look it up! Very tasty!

diane, Arioch, nitrofd and 2 others like this.
  11. JohnW.

JohnW. Sergeant Major

Sloppy Joe's should be their own food group. Definitely in the top 3 comfort foods.

12. JohnW.

JohnW. Sergeant Major

Sloppy joe
    From Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
    This article is about the ground beef sandwich. For the bar in Key West, see Sloppy Joe's. For the sandwich made in New Jersey, see Sloppy joe (New Jersey).
    Sloppy Joe
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Alternative names Wimpies, yip yips, slushburgers
    Course Main
    Place of origin United States
    Serving temperature Hot
    Main ingredients Ground beef, onions, sweetened tomato sauce or ketchup, Worcestershire sauce, seasoning, hamburger bun
    Variations Multiple
    A sloppy joe is a sandwich consisting of ground beef, onions, tomato sauce or ketchup, Worcestershire sauce, and other seasonings, served on a hamburger bun. The dish originated in the United States during the early 20th century.

History
    Early 20th century American cookbooks offer plenty of sloppy-joe type recipes, though they go by different titles: Toasted Deviled Hamburgers, Chopped Meat Sandwiches, Hamburg a la Creole, Beef Mironton, and Minced Beef Spanish Style.

Marilyn Brown, Director of the Consumer Test Kitchen at H.J. Heinz in Pittsburgh, says their research at the Carnegie Library suggests that the sloppy joe began in a Sioux City, Iowa, cafe as a "loose meat sandwich" in 1930, the creation of a cook named Joe.

References to sloppy joes as sandwiches begin by the 1940s. One example is a 1944 Coshocton Tribune ad under the heading "Good Things to Eat" says "Sloppy Joes' - 10c - Originated in Cuba - You'll ask for more - The Hamburg Shop" and elsewhere on the same page, "Hap is introducing that new sandwich at The Hamburg Shop - Sloppy Joes - 10c."

The term sloppy Joe's had an earlier definition of any cheap restaurant or lunch counter serving cheap food quickly, since 1940 or a type of casual clothing.

Food companies began producing packaged sloppy joe sauce, such as Manwich, by the 1960s.

Variations
    Several variations of the sloppy joe exist in North America. In Quebec, Canada, sandwiches of stewed ground beef such as pain à la viande and pain fourré gumbo are usually served on hot dog buns. A similar sandwich, the "dynamite," exists in the area around Woonsocket, Rhode Island, and is distinguished by the use of onions, bell peppers, and sometimes celery.

Stewed meat sandwiches are common in several other culinary traditions as well. The rou jia mo, from China's Shaanxi Province, consists of stewed pork, beef, or lamb on a steamed bun. Keema pav of Indian cuisine uses a pav bread roll filled with keema, a minced, stewed, curried meat.

Ground turkey or textured vegetable protein may be used as a substitute for ground beef.

In some stores in northern New Jersey, an unrelated sandwich made with a combination of deli meat, such as turkey, roast beef or especially ham, with coleslaw, Russian dressing and Swiss cheese on three slices of rye bread is also known as a sloppy joe.

The Sloppy Joe a la Wiki

13. Carronade

Carronade 2nd Lieutenant

I always thought a wimpy was a hamburger, after Popeye's friend J. Wellington Wimpy, famous for saying "I will gladly pay you Tuesday for a hamburger today."

Wimpy was also a nickname for the British Wellington bomber of WWII.

diane and AshleyMel like this.
  14. Dave Wilma

Dave Wilma 2nd Lieutenant

In high school in the 60s, sloppy joes were the Thursday lunch. For 40 cents you got an extra order. Everyone got two.

AshleyMel likes this.
  15. Greyfalcon

Greyfalcon Corporal

I'm glad it got it's inventor's name because, "loose meat sandwich" does not sound appetizing at all.

LoriAnn, AshleyMel, Arioch and 3 others like this.
  16. ami

ami Major General Super Moderator

I usually make homemade sauce. I use the pioneer woman's recipe, as much as I don't like her that recipe is a good one.

donna, AshleyMel and nitrofd like this.
  17. Arioch

Arioch Sergeant

always liked them....when I was a kid, Tuesday was hot lunch day at school..Your Choice? Hot dogs or Sloppy Joe's....I was firmly in the sloppy Joe camp...rebel that I was....Then I grew up, learned that in politics...it is good to 'cross the aisle'....and realized that Hot dogs were Ok, too...why, brave new world...I could like both (gasp)....

donna and AshleyMel like this.
  18. John Winn

John Winn Captain

Sloppy Joe's be gooood. Real comfort food and easy to make (meaning I can make it, almost without a recipe).

I don't like bell peppers though and make mine more like spaghetti sauce (i.e. with some garlic). A little hot sauce is also a touch both of us like. The @RobertP cheese on top suggestion is one we've not done but will next time for sure.

19. AshleyMel

AshleyMel Sergeant

No canned stuff for us! This is great! You can fudge the measurements a bit too for you likin'
    Leftovers freeze well!

3 pounds lean ground beef
    1 cup chopped onion
    3 cloves garlic, minced
    1 1/4 cup ketchup
    1 cup chopped green bell pepper
    5 Tbs. Worcestershire sauce
    4 Tbs. brown sugar
    3 Tbs. vinegar
    3 Tbs. prepared mustard (I use Dijon)
    2 tsp. chili powder (optional)
    Hamburger buns

Brown ground beef, onion and garlic in large skillet. Drain and discard fat. Combine ketchup, bell pepper, and the rest of ingredients in slow cooker. Stir in ground beef. Cook on low 6 to 8 hours or high 3 to 4 hours.

Enjoy!

Arioch, donna and nitrofd like this.
  20. nitrofd

Sounds like a winner.

21. Arioch

Arioch Sergeant

Oh, by the way now....I'm hungry....Thank you....

(Membership has it privileges! To remove this ad: Register NOW!)