The Gray Ghost 1957-1958

Rusk County Avengers

First Sergeant
Forum Host
I was first exposed to this, shall we say interesting, show years ago when in school, by a friend and mentor on CW reenacting. I recall when he got a DVD set of it, he was so excited because he hadn't seen the show since he was a little kid. He had been excited, but when re-watching it for the first time in decades, and as an older man who had dedicated decades to CW research, he was a appalled. Mosby with a pair of revolvers in flap holsters, the obvious California surroundings, the funky style of saluting and the outright made up stories were a shock to him. For me, I found the show to be a typical example of a 1950's TV show. A decade has gone by since my first exposure to it, and a couple of years ago I found a DVD set of all known episodes and grabbed it up. Mainly because it being an old show, its a relic of the past itself.

So here in this thread I'm curious what everyone else to say about it, things they like, and the laughable things in the show that are bad.

For me, seeing Sgt. Schultz, (excuse me, John Banner) as Heros Von Borke with a serious attitude, but a habit of screwing up they're big attack, along with the episode they try to replicate Mosby's raid on Fairfax Courthouse to be interesting.

As for the bad, to numerous to mention, but memorable moments would be, Union infantry marching about on picket duty with sabers, Mosby and his men wearing blue cloaks with blue kepis when "in disguise" and their gray still showing (cracks me up every time), along with numerous other quirks of the show.

Of course the show is incredibly inaccurate, and as my old friend and mentor said, hokey. I'm curious, what are y'all's thoughts?

Fewer ads. Lots of American Civil War content!
JOIN NOW: REGISTER HERE!

TnFed

Sergeant
It was hokey but as a kid I loved it. (Even though I tend to favor the boys in blue.) Started my interest in the Civil War. The Gray Ghost was a hero to kids all over the country. Just like the versions of Day Crockett, Swamp Fox, Daniel Boone and the Scarecrow that we see from that time period. Sure it's hokey to us today but as kids they heros to boys and girls all over. We wanted to be brave and fair and stand up for the underdog like they were portrayed.

I was first exposed to this, shall we say interesting, show years ago when in school, by a friend and mentor on CW reenacting. I recall when he got a DVD set of it, he was so excited because he hadn't seen the show since he was a little kid. He had been excited, but when re-watching it for the first time in decades, and as an older man who had dedicated decades to CW research, he was a appalled. Mosby with a pair of revolvers in flap holsters, the obvious California surroundings, the funky style of saluting and the outright made up stories were a shock to him. For me, I found the show to be a typical example of a 1950's TV show. A decade has gone by since my first exposure to it, and a couple of years ago I found a DVD set of all known episodes and grabbed it up. Mainly because it being an old show, its a relic of the past itself.

So here in this thread I'm curious what everyone else to say about it, things they like, and the laughable things in the show that are bad.

For me, seeing Sgt. Schultz, (excuse me, John Banner) as Heros Von Borke with a serious attitude, but a habit of screwing up they're big attack, along with the episode they try to replicate Mosby's raid on Fairfax Courthouse to be interesting.

As for the bad, to numerous to mention, but memorable moments would be, Union infantry marching about on picket duty with sabers, Mosby and his men wearing blue cloaks with blue kepis when "in disguise" and their gray still showing (cracks me up every time), along with numerous other quirks of the show.

Of course the show is incredibly inaccurate, and as my old friend and mentor said, hokey. I'm curious, what are y'all's thoughts?
This was about the same time a local t.v. station WCYB in Bristol TN/VA came on the air. As fate would have it, Mosby practiced law in Bristol either prior to or right after the war, (I can't recall, maybe both). Anyway, they took real advantage of that fact with promos for the show. "Fridays nights at 8 pm! Don't miss the thrilling adventures of Bristol's own Colonel John Singleton Mosby, The Gray Ghost"! My paternal grandmother lived with us and we faithfully watched every episode. She'd cheer for the Rebels right along with me! During commercials, she'd tell me stories she was told as a girl, (born in 1894), about her grandmothers that were widowed during the war. How they had to cope with raising children while their husbands, (that never came home) were gone. About trying to hide food and maybe one old sickly cow or plow horse from both armies. Thus began a life-long interest in the "late unpleasantness" as grandma called it. Both her grandfathers that died were Tennessee Yankees, a fact she probably never knew, and one I learned years later.

Fewer ads. Lots of American Civil War content!
JOIN NOW: REGISTER HERE!