Sword unit identification

Crayonbone1

Cadet
I recently purchased a calvary saber that's stamped Ames chicopee mass. Etc. Other side is stamped u.s. adk and 1862. The scabbard is stamped 1862 on the drag. The blade and scabbard are both in remarkable shape. Blade is bright and almost rust free. At first I thought it's a reproduction but now that I've got it in my hands I think someone cleaned the blade and scabbard. The blade even has a smell that reminds me of gun oil. Anyways, given the condition of the handle I'm satisfied its authentic. My question is, on the bow of the hand guard, its stamped 2120. Its a little crooked like it was done by hand. I've seen other swords identified to a particular unit or battalion. How would I find this information? Ive googled it and searched on here to no avail. Any help would be greatly appreciated

Screenshot457.jpg

Welcome From THE Heart Of Dixie. The numbers are just rack # and are not unit #. We would love to see the whole sword.

When they were stored in a units armory they had racks they were put in and as @captaindrew stated this was also used as an inventory #

Thank you from north Texas! That rack number is the main reason I popped on this sword. I've got a couple reproduction swords and have seen lots of them but none had that little detail. I wish I could trace it back to a particular unit though. I'm happy none the less

My apologies, but IMHO, that piece screams reproduction, the stampings are bunched and too crisp, the grip is wrong and the Ames stamping is off, not to mention the scabbard flaking. The hand guard coming into the hilt is wrong, just way too many issues...….I hope you either didn't pay too much or have a return period.

Again, my apologies, welcome to the site, you should find a wealth of information here, but if you want to collect, please buy reference books. Those books will save you so much time, worry and $$$, take it from one who wished he had...…...

Many of the books can be found online from used book sellers and are not terribly expensive.

Thank you from north Texas! That rack number is the main reason I popped on this sword. I've got a couple reproduction swords and have seen lots of them but none had that little detail. I wish I could trace it back to a particular unit though. I'm happy none the less
My apologies, but IMHO, that piece screams reproduction, the stampings are bunched and too crisp, the grip is wrong and the Ames stamping is off, not to mention the scabbard flaking. The hand guard coming into the hilt is wrong, just way too many issues...….I hope you either didn't pay too much or have a return period.
Unfortunately, @Package4 is correct; here's what genuine Ames sabers should look like: https://civilwartalk.com/threads/cavalry-and-dragoon-sabers-by-the-n-p-ames-co.109389/

Unfortunately, I must agree with Package4 and James N. that this is a reproduction. In addition to the points they made, the stamping on the drag, which are supposed to be the inspector initials A.D.K., are wrong in shape and size. If you collect CW swords you have to be careful because there are a lot of repros out there. I got stung by a really high quality fake myself. Hated to admit it, but it was.

Well ****! Lol I'm glad I didnt pay a ton. Only gave 150 for it. Lesson learned
Good for you - that price isn't far off from what you'd pay for an honest reproduction from a typical sutler at a large-scale reenactment.

Welcome to the forums and don't hesitate to ask for opinions in the future!

Back