Breechldrs Smith Carbine

Paul Tick

Cadet
I just purchased a Smith Carbine at an auction. Serial number 270. I believe this gun has never been fired. The bore is bright and shiny and there is no evidence of any powder residue on the nipple or hammer. No dings or scratches on the stock or forearm. It has all the correct manufacturers markings so it is not a reproduction, but in its condition it could be. Any idea what the gun is worth?

I just purchased a Smith Carbine at an auction. Serial number 270. I believe this gun has never been fired. The bore is bright and shiny and there is no evidence of any powder residue on the nipple or hammer. No dings or scratches on the stock or forearm. It has all the correct manufacturers markings so it is not a reproduction, but in its condition it could be. Any idea what the gun is worth?
Its hard enough for us to value guns from photos but just from a description. IMPOSSIBLE Photos please.

There were two variations. One with slingbar and ring and other with standard swivels. They were produced by three manufactures. Suggest you look at various auction sites and dealers to compare to yours.
I'll send a photo. The prices on guns international go up to about $3500. But none claim to be unfired. I really believe that this one is. The inside of the hammer is blued, the nipple has no residue and the chamber and barrel have a mirror like finish

I'll send a photo. The prices on guns international go up to about $3500. But none claim to be unfired. I really believe that this one is. The inside of the hammer is blued, the nipple has no residue and the chamber and barrel have a mirror like finish
This is the carbine without swivels. Manufactured by American Machine works.

Now that you have narrowed it down a little research multiple sites both auction and dealer to get an asking range. As to if it was never fired, that will probably never be answered. Here is one of mine that one might classify as " never fired".
1616690078970.jpeg

Back