Skirmisher's Poll: Best Breechloading Carbine

CivilWarTalk

Lieutenant General
- ★★★ -
Managing Member & Webmaster
Joined
Apr 1, 1999
Location
Martinsburg, WV
Skirmishers,

What is the best Breechloading Carbine for skirmishing?

I like the Smith carbine, but I want to know if there's a better option out there.

Post your thoughts, theories, and wisecracks below...
 
I favor the Sharps, but I don't skirmish in the same way ya'll do. If I was going to be in the field I'd take a Sharps over the Smith... and if the option for a Spencer was vailable that would be on my carbine sling.
 
I'm a little biased because the whole reason I got involved in the N-SSA realm was a burgeoning interest in the Maynard, so a 1st Model Maynard goes to the line with me when carbines are called for. Fifty caliber with the reduced capacity brass cases (22.5 gr) and the old Ideal Maynard & Smith bullet mould. ;)

Froggie
 
I shot the Smith Carbine for many years and it was a reliable and accurate shooter. About 7 years ago, I bought a Model 1 Romano Maynard and it is the best shooting carbine I have ever owned. It will drive tacks at both 50 and 100 yards and my hit ratio is probably 85%.
 

Learn About Us
►About CivilWarTalk
►Contact the Webmaster
►Meet the Staff
►Link to CivilWarTalk
Join Our Community
►Register
►Browse Forums
►View Today's Discussions
►Search the Forum
Get Help
►FAQ
►Student Guide
►Forum Rules & Etiquette
►Copyright / DMCA

     Contact Us CivilwarTalk on Facebook CivilWarTalk on YouTube CivilWarTalk on Twitter RSS Feed

Bringing the American Civil War and More to Life.
© 1999 - , CIVILWARTALK, LLC - Site Version 10.0

SlaveryTalk.com - SecessionTalk.com - CivilWarTalk.com - ReconstructionTalk.com
Back
Top