Forrest Served Him Right

Barrycdog

Major
North Georgia Citizen, Jul. 16, 1868 -- page 2

North Georgia Citizen, Jul. 16, 1868 -- page 2 .jpg

"The night before last a New Yorker entered the room of General Forrest, of Tennessee, who was in bed, and introduced himself as a Chase Democrat.

After conversing a few moments he directly proposed to buy Forrest, who slapped him in the mouth, and springing up in his shirt -tail, he gave the pecuniary messenger a violent barefoot kick as he fled through the door."

:rofl:

"But we doubt the whole story"

:rofl::rofl:

I love these old newspaper articles.

This is great! Probably a windy, but great! Forrest had a time with New Yorkers. On his way to the convention he was mobbed on the street by them - the last time Yankees surrounded him it was not good. :eek: Suddenly waving his arms like he was shooing chickens he bellowed, "D-n you! Get out of my way!" They got....with good speed, too. At least they weren't trying to shoot him this time!

His trip to New York was impressive - I don't think he ever went back! However, he did meet up with a very prim and proper Christian lady one early morn - she was on a mission to find the truth about Ft Pillow from the horse's mouth. She barged on in, ran over the top of Willie and marched right into Forrest's bedroom, umbrella in one hand and Bible in the other. He was sitting on the edge of his bed in his night shirt, hairy legs sticking out, no shave, bad case of bed head. "Are you the rebel general Forrest?" she demanded. "Did you murder those dear colored people at Ft Pillow? Tell the truth now, I want no prevarication!" Forrest stood up, drew himself up to his full 6'2" height and said very quietly, "Yes, ma'am. I killed the men and women for my soldiers' supper and ate the babies myself for breakfast." She shrieked, then ran out the door, down the hallway, through the lobby and down the street, screaming all the way into the distance...!

I don't understand this part?

Forrest was in NYC as a Tennessee delegate for the 1868 Democratic convention. He was committed to Andrew Johnson for the nomination but Johnson failed to make the cut and Forrest joined the convention in nominating Governor Horatio Seymour of NY> Salmon P Chase was also in the running for the nomination. The article proposes that Forrest was offered a bribe...

Back