Road trip reenactment suggestions?

Rusk County Avengers

Captain
Muster Stunt Master Stones River / Franklin 2022
20161009_125524.jpg

(Perryville, 2016)

A close friend/brother in arms and I were talking reenactments, about ones we liked, ones we didn't like and son, until he pulls out a list and next thing we know we're going over events all across the country! Then an exchange came along that went something like this:

"Pepper! Lets do a road trip to a reenactment somewhere!"

We've already decided to do Cedar Creek one day, my buddy has talked of nothing else for two years about how me and him need to hit that one. Unfortunately circumstances have prevented us the past two years. I know he desperately wants to do, plus his family's land near that one. After we got to know each other several years ago, we discovered our respective GG-Grandfathers served together in the 33rd Virginia, same company, and old family lore on both sides confirmed they knew each other. So I think that is one of the reasons we decided we need to go to Cedar Creek together one of these days.

But looking over scheduled event all across the South the discussion turned to we need to do something different. Travel the road less taken, after this virus craziness is over. Surely some event out there would like to see a Texan and transplanted Virginian show up out of the blue looking for somewhere to fall in.

So I want to hear some suggestions folks!

Florida in February isn't a bad place to be. Olustee is always a good event and on the actual battlefield. battleofolustee.org

I knew that suggestion was coming! I even mentioned I heard Olustee was a good one.

I'm not afraid to bring out a tent, but when an event I prefer to sleep on the ground like they did back in the day. So I gotta ask, how terrible are ticks and such at Olustee?

I hear that the November reenactment at Camp Moore and the March reenactment at Natural Bridge are good events.

I knew that suggestion was coming! I even mentioned I heard Olustee was a good one.

I'm not afraid to bring out a tent, but when an event I prefer to sleep on the ground like they did back in the day. So I gotta ask, how terrible are ticks and such at Olustee?
If we have cool dry weather the bugs aren't bad in the winter. Myself I've never had ticks on me in Florida although I've heard other people complain about them (the ticks will carry you away at Gettysburg in the summer) . I worry more about fire ants and always check the ground for them before I go down. If it's warm and wet the skeeters can get bad but that's not usually the case in February. Whether to tent or not I'd check the weather more than anything. Some years it's been quite cold at night. You'd be welcome to fall in with our bunch if you don't mind a mainstream leaning bunch. If campaigning is more your thing there's a campaigner group that comes every year with a good sized company, they seem like a good bunch of guys, here's their site http://www.cwscar.com/

If we have cool dry weather the bugs aren't bad in the winter. Myself I've never had ticks on me in Florida although I've heard other people complain about them (the ticks will carry you away at Gettysburg in the summer) . I worry more about fire ants and always check the ground for them before I go down. If it's warm and wet the skeeters can get bad but that's not usually the case in February. Whether to tent or not I'd check the weather more than anything. Some years it's been quite cold at night. You'd be welcome to fall in with our bunch if you don't mind a mainstream leaning bunch. If campaigning is more your thing there's a campaigner group that comes every year with a good sized company, they seem like a good bunch of guys, here's their site http://www.cwscar.com/

I'm pretty big on authenticity, but I reenact with the mainstream. I guess Olustee is on the list for a road trip.

I hear that the November reenactment at Camp Moore and the March reenactment at Natural Bridge are good events.

I don't know about Natural Bridge, but since my unit's normal Liendo event on the same weekend as Camp Moore is kaput, Camp Moore is on the itinerary.

I don't know about Natural Bridge, but since my unit's normal Liendo event on the same weekend as Camp Moore is kaput, Camp Moore is on the itinerary.
Natural Bridge is just south of Tallahassee and the reenactment is in March.

Gotcha, that might be an interesting event. I had to think for a second to remember where that one was.
I've heard Natural Bridge is a nice event but I've never been myself. It always conflicts with a small local event here in South Florida put on by our local SCV camp in which some of the members of our group are in so I feel obligated to support it, they need every live body they can get for it. Turned out that was the last event of our season.

One event has occurred to me I've been curious about. Does anyone know anything about the Fort Branch event in NC? Reenacting in an original fort has always been a goal, and my apparent partner in this enterprise wouldn't qualify for Fort Blakely, for many reasons.

One event has occurred to me I've been curious about. Does anyone know anything about the Fort Branch event in NC? Reenacting in an original fort has always been a goal, and my apparent partner in this enterprise wouldn't qualify for Fort Blakely, for many reasons.
I don't know about that one but they do a Federal Garrison weekend in Fort Clinch every year I hear is pretty cool if you have a Federal kit.

I don’t have anything to add, other than I do hope we get to go to some of the events this year. Myself, I started at Hale Farm here in Ohio. A fairly welcoming group. We did Zoar with the 1st Ohio Light Artillary. That was a nice venue. Tons of walking, and I learned that one cannot climb the levy in period boots and a hoop! Some kind gent came down and helped to haul me up! Watching the night fire was cool. I’d not seen that before.

Back