Review: the Brickyard Fight

johncla

Corporal
Last one! Thanks for your help.
I'm working on a new version of an animated map of day one at the Battle of Gettysburg. The 4 minute video, here, shows the part of day one remembered as the Brickyard Fight, which occurred near the end of the fighting on day one. I'm looking for comments on accuracy and clarity of the map.

Note: I plan to remove this video when the new version of the day one map goes live.

A good representation. I would say the center of Hays' brigade went down the Harrisburg road from north of Rock Creek all the way to the edge of town. Avery's brigade tried to stay on Hays' left all the way, except they fell behind slightly while crossing Rock Creek, but caught up again with Hays just beyond the Alms' House. After jointly crushing Coster, Avery aligned on the railroad just northeast of town, while Hays' center and right formed up on North Street parallel to, and north of, York Street - also along the railroad. Their left (8th Louisiana) went down Stratton Street for a ways in pursuit of the fleeing Federals before rejoining the brigade.

As Tom mentioned, it’s a good representation. The only comment I can provide is that it’s my understanding that the apex of Barlow’s salient was more towards the North as opposed to your representation with the apex in a more easterly direction. The 107th and 25th Ohio made up the left leg while the 153rd PA made up the right leg of the salient.

Back