Reproduction Swords

Cavalier

2nd Lieutenant
I was thinking of buying a reproduction sword and was wondering which ones were the best. Preferably a foot officers model with a leather scabbard.

Thanks in advance to anyone who cares to render an opinion.

John

Most of the reproductions offered by sutlers geared toward reenactors are made in India. A decent foot officers sword will cost you about 225 to 250. Check out Regimental Quartermaster or the Blockade Runner, they both carry them. If your just looking for something to display if you search around originals aren't crazy expensive.

Since I only deal with originals I can't say but @captaindrew has given you 2 of the top repop sutlers and he is spot on as if you take your time and look around you can find an original pretty reasonable.

I know it doesn't make sense because I don't even reenact, but I want one as good as an original if possible. I would love to get a good original but that would be way out of my league. I might try defending myself against a rampaging cantaloupe or something just for fun now and then.

You guys have all been very helpful. Thank you all very much!

John

Check out all the Auction sites or Dealers on line, you maybe able to get a halfway decent original for $250-350 (which I have done) without the scabbard of course. Then you will have a true original instead of a phony farbie fake repo piece of ****!

For a few extra hundred you can get the real deal. I have a very nice unmarked Civil War Foot Officer’s sword that only cost me $500 two years ago.

486527FB-002B-47E6-8F6C-2C9F955187BF.jpeg

18181262-4174-41DF-85F6-02BA9B47A334.jpeg

48207B7C-F409-41FC-862C-7BBF7B7815F9.jpeg

B9E66B00-0AA3-43F4-8298-774866931DD9.jpeg

2E62C9B2-5F8B-4E19-844A-63C01DD0FAF1.jpeg

DA2D6FBC-78EC-45E5-A43B-C039FA97BD7C.jpeg

There are plenty of dealers out there online that sell CW swords, google them. You can get an original for your price or close to it, you might even get to talk them down $50 or so. Or try all the online auctions, bid 10 to 20 times and 1 you may win on. Trust me you will feel a whole lot better holding an original just wonder what it went thru instead of some fake made in India.

@Stars in Their Courses I thank you very much for your most kind offer. I think I am going to have to step back a while and decide what I really want. It hasn't occurred to me before to get an original. Also, I should be sure before I spend that kind of money, (being retired, I have to be more careful of finances than when I was among the ranks of the gainfully employeed).

Gratefully, John

I can attest to the Blockaderunnrr as a source for reporting swords. I suggest you look at their online catalogue & then call them. It is a family owned business. They have a phenomenally deep knowledge base; weapons, clothing, hats & traps are in stock. I was there last week & Ithey have plenty of repro officer’s swords.

All Hands: First, thanks to everyone who assisted me in my quest!!! After thinking it over I decided against an original because of I ever got one it would go on the wall almost like a shrine and I would be afraid to play, (practise?), with it at all.

So, while in Gettysburg I came upon a very nice looking reproduction of the U.S. Staff and Field officers sword at Regimental Headquarters for a couple of hundred+. I couldn't resist it so now it has a new home here at Chateau Cavalier.

Thank you all again!

John

Congrats. Even though its a repro I'd love to see it if you get a chance. Now that you have one to play/practice with you should find one to fill that spot on the wall. I have a couple of real ones and I love just wondering where they have been. (of course they have all been at the angle at Gettysburg - not).

Back