Relic Display

Tom Hughes

Private
I've been working on my relic room display and wanted to share with the forum on what I've come up with so far in my first case.
Most of these items are from the civil war from west central Mississippi sites with the exception of a few items, especially the .45/70 indian wars cartridges.
Thanks for looking.

59.JPG

Fewer ads. Lots of American Civil War content!
JOIN NOW: REGISTER HERE!

alan polk

2nd Lieutenant
No because the heat and humidity have been too much but it has finally dropped in the last couple of days. I've been thinking about this, believe me! I will start looking this week.
Good for you! Keep us updated with what you find. There is too much history around a house like you described! It might be a bit hard at first and sometimes a bit boring, but I think the payoff will be great!

alan polk

2nd Lieutenant
Good looking display. Now I need to navigate to the threads inferred about the house. Guidance please.
Lubliner.
It’s from this thread:

Reverend Ron

Private
Wish that I had time for relic hunting as a hobby. Maybe when I retire next year I'll buy a metal detector.

I do have a rather substantial old bottle collection that I have gathered from years spent wandering around in the woods squirrel hunting. It's easy to find the stone foundations and walls of old homestead sites when the leaves are off the trees. Most of the bottles were picked up on the eastern slopes of the Blue Ridge mountains around Orange, Madison, and Culpeper counties here in Virginia.

The bulk of them are old milk jugs and liquor bottles that date from 1930's to 1960's, but some look much older. Most numerous are from long gone dairies and distilleries in the region. It seems as though everyone either loved milk or Dixie Gin back in those days.

I know it doesn't compare to finding a Parrott rifled cannon shell. However, I do know the fun and excitement you guys experience when you come across a "find" and have to carefully dig it out of the ground without damaging the item.

BTW Tom did you build your display case? It looks good man, I like it!

Tom Hughes

Private
Wish that I had time for relic hunting as a hobby. Maybe when I retire next year I'll buy a metal detector.

I do have a rather substantial old bottle collection that I have gathered from years spent wandering around in the woods squirrel hunting. It's easy to find the stone foundations and walls of old homestead sites when the leaves are off the trees. Most of the bottles were picked up on the eastern slopes of the Blue Ridge mountains around Orange, Madison, and Culpeper counties here in Virginia.

The bulk of them are old milk jugs and liquor bottles that date from 1930's to 1960's, but some look much older. Most numerous are from long gone dairies and distilleries in the region. It seems as though everyone either loved milk or Dixie Gin back in those days.

I know it doesn't compare to finding a Parrott rifled cannon shell. However, I do know the fun and excitement you guys experience when you come across a "find" and have to carefully dig it out of the ground without damaging the item.

BTW Tom did you build your display case? It looks good man, I like it!
Thanks! I've been collecting civil war relics for 40 years so my collection has gotten quite large. The wife has "informed" me that I can only display a certain number of items due to space restrictions. I found this 3-tier case at our local Target store. I've got my eye on another one that is an antique I found at the antique mall recently.
I also collect bottles (1860s-1940s mainly). I used to dig dump sites around houses with a little success. I need to dedicate a case to nothing but those bottles.
You need to get a metal detector one day for sure. You will be surprised at all the stuff that is buried under our feet. I've enjoyed it!

ironmannf

Private
I've been working on my relic room display and wanted to share with the forum on what I've come up with so far in my first case.
Most of these items are from the civil war from west central Mississippi sites with the exception of a few items, especially the .45/70 indian wars cartridges.
Thanks for looking.

View attachment 320105
Very nice indeed!

Fewer ads. Lots of American Civil War content!
JOIN NOW: REGISTER HERE!