Prisoner interrogatiions

Like I stated earlier counterinsurgency ain't nothing nice. Has you know in the Shelton Laura Massacre the Confederate North Carolina Home Guards shot captured teen age boys and tortured women.
So far no evidence has been presented that either the Union or Confederate Army tortured regular enlisted uniformed soldiers.
If either side captured someone out of uniform it's a whole different ball game.
Leftyhunter
Too much talk, not enough resources.

Too much talk, not enough resources.
I have sent you an alert on my sources for the torture of women by the North Carolina Home Guards. I have a thread " Union vs CSA guerrillas" with plenty of sources on violence towards Civilians. I have a thread " the Moral clarity of the Lawrence Massacre". Therefore your assertion is simply not true.
Leftyhunter

I have read in sources that ca9soldiers were fairly chatty. There are several problems with the information the captured soldiers gave.

1. To start with most soldiers did not have much information of value. They just were not told much.

2. Their information was also a bit dated.

3. The people questioning them were not trained as to what information to try to get.

4. There was little ability to verify the information.

5. There were no overall intelligence gathering plans.

6. There were no intelligence officers (S2s) to process the information in to intelligence.

7. The communications net works were not able to transmit intelligence up and down the command structure in a timely manner.

The 43rd Battalion companies A and B under Richardson was hunting Blazer, the hunted had become the hunter. John Puryear was captured while scouting by some of Blazers men dressed in gray. Puryear refused to talk to Lt Cole and was hung by the neck several times till he passed out. Richardson and Blazer found each other. Blazer was defeated, Puryear escaped, was given a pistol and joined the fight. Cole surrendered to John Alexander, Puryear came up pistol pointed at Cole, Alexander said "don't shoot this man he has surrendered" Puryear replied "The rascal tried to hang me this morning" Alexander asked Cole if it was true, Cole said " oh save me", Puryear "Yes, I will save you" and pulled the trigger.

Last edited:
Back