Potsdam Musket Percussion Conversion Dated 1822

Johnny_Reb_1865

Sergeant
received_2250279388408266.jpeg

Were these rifles used during the WBTS,(Civil War)?

The Prussian M1809 smooth-bore musket was purchased by the federal government and used early in the war and also used by northern militia. According to Firearms From Europe "The U. S. Ordnance Department purchased approximately 165,000 Prussian arms, 100, 300 are identified as smooth-bores."

This one is a smoothbore.

The Prussian M1809 smooth-bore musket was purchased by the federal government and used early in the war and also used by northern militia. According to Firearms From Europe "The U. S. Ordnance Department purchased approximately 165,000 Prussian arms, 100, 300 are identified as smooth-bores."
It's unfortunately not in good condition.

The 7th. Mich. Vol. Inf. Regiment was issued the Potsdam musket at their mustering at Ft. Detroit. After its first engagement the regiment sought to replace them, they claimed many failed to fire do you still have this musket?

Used in the Western Theater by some of Grant's troops. The 10th Michigan was one unit that had them. I don't believe the Confederates ever purchased these, the Federals bought them all up, partly to keep them out of the rebel's hands. I have an 1822 Potsdam that I shoot in N-SSA competition. It shoots decently for a smoothie.

20190310_215853.jpg

20191026_115835.jpg

I've handled a few at smooth-bore stages of skirmish-matches. It is popular with smooth-bore competitors because it is one of the few smooth-bore muskets with a rear sight. My 1842 Springfield with the smooth-bore barrel installed doesn't have a sight.

Some used by skirmishers have glass bed stocks and other "improvements." Others have relined barrels if there was a lot of pitting in the original.

Yes, these were purchased and used in the Civil War. I think these would be considered "third class" arms, however.

The 7th. Mich. Vol. Inf. Regiment was issued the Potsdam musket at their mustering at Ft. Detroit. After its first engagement the regiment sought to replace them, they claimed many failed to fire do you still have this musket?
The musket isn't mine. It's owned by someone who asked me about it.

I bought one years ago that was in almost mint condition. When it came in the mail I unboxed it and was looking it over and i pulled the ramrod out from under the barrel and just dropped it down the barrel. Instead of a medal to medal ping it was a dull thud. I happened to have a cleaning rod that i could screw a worm patch remover on to it. I ran the worm down the barrel and gave it several twist and pulled it out. To my surprise on the end of the worm was what looked like gray paper. After taking a better look I saw it was a old wasp nest. I turned the rifle over and bumped the muzzle on a piece of wood on the floor and a load of bird shot fell out. I ran the worm down the second time and out came another wad of wasp nest. I turned it over again and bumped the muzzle on the board and about 70 or 80 grans of black powder fell out. No telling how long that gun had been loaded. So now if I buy a new rifle the first thing i do is drop a rod down the barrel to make sure its not loaded. I also bought a used Thompson Center Hawken 54 caliber at a gun show and when I got it home it was loaded. I just put a cap on it and shot it out.

Back