Enfield Musket?

R. Porter

Sergeant Major
Joined
Oct 6, 2020
Well this arrived today!
IMG_0722.webp

IMG_0723.webp


I won it at auction a few weeks ago. It was listed as an unknown gun. I did a little research and thought, "this looks like a Pattern 1842 musket!" and bid on it. I won. Now that it has arrived, I'm noticing all sorts of things that don't match a Pattern 1842. Things that I don't see at all are stamps on the barrel or on the stock, except for the number 466 on the lower stock.

IMG_0735.webp


IMG_0727.webp


Unlike the 1842, this gun has the barrel held in by pins, not wedges. The barrel length looks like about 37.5 inches rather than over 39 inches. The butt plate looks a little different.

IMG_0731.webp


IMG_0730.webp


The ramrod looks wrong and it feels like it is in that channel to stay! The nose cap is not stepped. The barrel is thin-walled and looks like it could be .69 caliber rather than .74 caliber.

IMG_0728.webp


The ramrod pipes look wrong.

IMG_0736.webp


The lock plate and percussion bolster look a little different. The lock plate appears to have a single poorly drawn line around its perimeter and some numbers stamped behind the hammer.

IMG_0732.webp


Here is a view of the side opposite the lock.

IMG_0726.webp


Here is a view of the trigger guard.

IMG_0725.webp


This shows repairs to the wood around the barrel tang.

IMG_0734.webp


So what do I have here? Is it a parts gun? Was it something made in a far flung corner of Britain's colonial empire? Is it something that might have been used in the American Civil War?

IMG_0724.webp
 
Looks like one of those hand made products of the shade-tree gunsmiths of Peshawar Pakistan. There's a great articles from the 1960s reprinted on the old guns website.
The author, as I recall, mentions how these guys knew there should be some markings and so they took a stamp or two and just stamped a few letters or numbers in a row here and there, as on your lockplate
 
Jeff in Ohio is right. It doesn't look like one. it is a cross between an enfield P53 lock and breech area, a badly cast EIC barrel and the forestock and barrel fixings of a EIC type F musket. It certainly is not Enfield. The last British ones like this with 'Enfield' on them was the P1845 Extra Service with a pinned barrel (no bands) and brass furnature - and didn't leave Britain! The lock pin cups (LH holding the lock) are not inset either. The state of the barrel suggests local made copy, it is such a mixture of issue types..
 
Concur with both above. That entry pipe looks Brown Bess. Cobbled togther by some unidentified American gunsmith from salvaged parts.

Nothing wrong with that though. La Veta has an "English made rifle" which my buddy and I immediately identified as a southern iron-mounted rifle. I later figured the maker was one of two Gillespe bros who salvaged the lock, got a Remington barrel and made their own buttplate and trigger guard.

I'd use coconut oil and a nickel (five cent piece) to remove all that stuff from the metal work. It won't harm the patina. Afterward treat with Renaissance Wax. I used distilled water and cotton to gently clean the stock. Not wet, but damp cotton. You don't want to the stock to get soaking wett. Gently rub. Then Renaissance Wax (Woodcraft store or Amazon).
 
Last edited:
It ain't what ya got, it's the way that ya do it! I have had some real cheap stuff, it is how I learned about gun smithing. I am currently 'doing' and old British Pattern 1845 (Extra Service) musket. It has been left somewhere damp some time. The metal parts are OK, but the wood has been rotted and wormed. I am testing my woodworking skills, but it does need some work doing - and not using filler!! Just to show you have nothing to worry about, Here is my rather ... 'eaten' stock. Whey not just get a new stock? It still has all the old stampings and marks - and the right-hand side is fine!!

Stock Butt3.webp

1790288232629.webp
 
It ain't what ya got, it's the way that ya do it! I have had some real cheap stuff, it is how I learned about gun smithing. I am currently 'doing' and old British Pattern 1845 (Extra Service) musket. It has been left somewhere damp some time. The metal parts are OK, but the wood has been rotted and wormed. I am testing my woodworking skills, but it does need some work doing - and not using filler!! Just to show you have nothing to worry about, Here is my rather ... 'eaten' stock. Whey not just get a new stock? It still has all the old stampings and marks - and the right-hand side is fine!!

View attachment 590833
View attachment 590835
Eeeeew! That stock looks pretty rough.
 
Wallace Gusler, Gunsmith of Colonial Williams star, once taught a three day museum conservation class. I wish I had enrolled.
 

Learn About Us
►About CivilWarTalk
►Contact the Webmaster
►Meet the Staff
►Link to CivilWarTalk
Join Our Community
►Register
►Browse Forums
►View Today's Discussions
►Search the Forum
Get Help
►FAQ
►Student Guide
►Forum Rules & Etiquette
►Copyright / DMCA

     Contact Us CivilwarTalk on Facebook CivilWarTalk on YouTube CivilWarTalk on Twitter RSS Feed

Bringing the American Civil War and More to Life.
© 1999 - , CIVILWARTALK, LLC - Site Version 10.0

SlaveryTalk.com - SecessionTalk.com - CivilWarTalk.com - ReconstructionTalk.com
Back
Top