Possible Bullet

RSMorris

First Sergeant
Was hunting again in the battlefield area of Lovejoy GA. and came up with this in 6" of dirt. Appears to be lead, is heavy for its size. Pinged a 76 on the detector, exactly the same ping as the two bullets I found over the weekend. Any ideas? A misshapen bullet? I keep finding the weird stuff... LOL Last pic is just for size comparison

Screen Shot 2021-10-12 at 3.23.18 PM.png

Screen Shot 2021-10-12 at 3.23.47 PM.png

Screen Shot 2021-10-12 at 3.24.27 PM.png

Screen Shot 2021-10-12 at 3.22.57 PM.png

Last edited:
Interesting. I’m sure someone will be along shortly to look at your find. I’d love to go relic hunting! I “want” a thimble, because I do hand sewing, and would love to have an intact one from a site.

From the shape it may be a bullet. Now keep hunting.

I am going 4 times a week. If this is a bullet that makes three in three days. All three pinged the same thing, 76

Each one was 6 to 8 inches underground.

I am going 4 times a week. If this is a bullet that makes three in three days. All three pinged the same thing, 76

Each one was 6 to 8 inches underground.
I don't really do the ping think, I just dig them up.

I don't really do the ping think, I just dig them up.
The problem is in my area, what little woods there are left in known skirmish or battle areas are also havens for homeless. After years of this, the woods are practically full of cans, pop tops, and just junk that sit 1 to 2 inches below ground. So the detector is going nuts. If I dug everything that pings, I would literally not ever be not digging. So I have to use something to filter out the junk.

Last edited:
The problem is in my area, what little woods there are left in known skirmish or battle areas are also havens for homeless. After years of this, the woods are practically full of cans, pop tops, and just junk that sit 1 to 2 inches below ground. So the detector is going nuts. If I dug everything that pings, I would literally not ever be not digging. So I have to use something to filter out the junk.
You also have to consider that Lovejoy was hunted staring back in the late 1960's and has beat beat to death. I would start spend some time doing research and find you some camps, small skirmish sites that have NOT been found. I started doing just that around 15 years ago and have found some very virgin CS camps that have keep me digging for awhile.

You also have to consider that Lovejoy was hunted staring back in the late 1960's and has beat beat to death. I would start spend some time doing research and find you some camps, small skirmish sites that have NOT been found. I started doing just that around 15 years ago and have found some very virgin CS camps that have keep me digging for awhile.

I get it. The fields are searched out. But I have found 3 bullets just this past weekend alone in those searched out fields. This what I have around me, searched out fields. I have been scouring the official war records. There was a skirmish in shakerag, about a mile from where I live. Going to look in woods there in the next couple days. Every camp area I have run across are now parking lots and malls. There is one area bout 30 minutes away going to this weekend.

I get it. The fields are searched out. But I have found 3 bullets just this past weekend alone in those searched out fields. This what I have around me, searched out fields. I have been scouring the official war records. There was a skirmish in shakerag, about a mile from where I live. Going to look in woods there in the next couple days. Every camp area I have run across are now parking lots and malls. There is one area bout 30 minutes away going to this weekend.
There is stuff all over that neck of the woods that hasn't been found. I would start reading regimental histories and diary's as they will give you a lot more info and locations.

There is stuff all over that neck of the woods that hasn't been found. I would start reading regimental histories and diary's as they will give you a lot more info and locations.

I am reading all I can. There is just so much paved over and fenced off now.

Try this book as I have found several of Wilsons camps and skirmish site and this unit was with Kilpatrick who was in your area. It gives some great details and locations.

Back