Civil War button ping

RSMorris

First Sergeant
I know this can vary but just getting a general idea. I have a Garret Ace 400 metal detector with the DD ring. I found two minie balls this weekend in the same general area. Both of them pinged a solid 76 with no side tones. Both were around 6-8 inches under red clay(Georgia). I had read in several places lead pings in the middle 70's so they were right on. There is a mess of trash just underground in these woods. Trying to see if I can discriminate out some of the trash tones. What would a civil war button normally ping at?

Dig any deep signal. Do not rely on target ID. Georgia clay is notoriously hard to hunt and there are places I have dug around Culpeper Va where no machine will discriminate at all and most VLF machines are practically worthless for getting through that awful ground.

I haven't thought to look for the deep signals. Thanks, am going this morning to another spot in Lovejoy.

I know this can vary but just getting a general idea. I have a Garret Ace 400 metal detector with the DD ring. I found two minie balls this weekend in the same general area. Both of them pinged a solid 76 with no side tones. Both were around 6-8 inches under red clay(Georgia). I had read in several places lead pings in the middle 70's so they were right on. There is a mess of trash just underground in these woods. Trying to see if I can discriminate out some of the trash tones. What would a civil war button normally ping at?
I would dig the signal even if hints to discriminate. When I started hunting in 1970 there were no machines with discriminators so you had to dig all signals. As stated by @History hoarder63 do not go by the target ID.

Now those same areas have 50 more years of homeless trash in them thar woods. Was in a small area today that had so much trash it was like a continuous signal. Went deeper into cleaner woods. Found a bullet sized piece of lead, still trying to clean it to see what it is.

Back