Please help identify this tintype...

Joined
Sep 28, 2016
Location
Los Angeles, Cal.
This is one photo is that large collection I just inherited. It was unmarked. It's a tintype. Any information would be very helpful. My hunch is that this is a New York regiment as it longs similar to a uniform worn by my gggrandfather, plus the photo collection came from a New York soldier.


Unknown soldier recto.jpg
 
I would say a yankee in a 9 button sack coat
 
I would describe the uniform as a dark blue nine button federal style frock coat with light blue trim. Light blue trousers. Dark blue forage cap.
 
Standard issue Federal frock coat and sky blue trousers, & forage cap. Subject appears to be holding a M1842 musket. Unfortunately nothing present visible that would give further clues to the subjects identity, or unit. Rather standard generic issued uniform and gear.
 
I was looking more at the 'rifle' as well...if it is a musket...then it's earlier in the war...state issued....that's the best I can come up with..
 
I would say a yankee in a 9 button sack coat

Sorry - there's no such animal. (The coat, not the yankee, that is!) Regulation sack or fatigue coats were relatively loose-fitting - hence the name - four button garments (five-button after 1872), made lined or unlined. This is a regulation nine-button frock coat. Because of different contracts by as many different manufacturers, the cut and fit of these may vary widely, but if it has 9 buttons it's a frock coat.
 

Learn About Us
►About CivilWarTalk
►Contact the Webmaster
►Meet the Staff
►Link to CivilWarTalk
Join Our Community
►Register
►Browse Forums
►View Today's Discussions
►Search the Forum
Get Help
►FAQ
►Student Guide
►Forum Rules & Etiquette
►Copyright / DMCA

     Contact Us CivilwarTalk on Facebook CivilWarTalk on YouTube CivilWarTalk on Twitter RSS Feed

Bringing the American Civil War and More to Life.
© 1999 - , CIVILWARTALK, LLC - Site Version 10.0

SlaveryTalk.com - SecessionTalk.com - CivilWarTalk.com - ReconstructionTalk.com
Back
Top