Period Farb

1579091052719.png

*photo from @Robert Gray - post below

Here’s a silly idea I’ve had for a while... share your period photos of soldiers doing things that, were you to see them at a reenactment, you’d call it Farb. Or just goofy pictures, generally. Anyone have a good starting example?

Last edited by a moderator:
Look at the belt on this Texan, Pvt. Junius Peak supposedly 1st Choctaw and Chickasaw Mounted Rifles after I played with enhancing it to get a better look at the buttons on his awesome uniform coat. I love his uniform, but his belt and gun rig looks more like something one would see in post-war western photos.

Enhanced Confederate 1.jpg

...I love his uniform, but his belt and gun rig looks more like something one would see in post-war western photos.

Speaking of which, check out the trooper in this photo ( which I assume is from the 1880s) of a trooper and some Apache scouts. He's wearing a brace of pistols; unusual for a soldier, I'd think.

They look like a pretty rough bunch.

D69BA41C-507F-481C-B9F9-7CF91A66D97C.jpeg

Speaking of which, check out the trooper in this photo ( which I assume is from the 1880s) of a trooper and some Apache scouts. He's wearing a brace of pistols; unusual for a soldier, I'd think.

View attachment 341891

He's got two different models of belts on....

Given what was standard issue with Indian Scouts, I'd bet at least one of his Colts is nickel plated. This photo is a revelation and makes feel stupid. I was working on a small budget film set and when issuing out guns and rigs, my last one was a Indian Wars half-flap holster. The guy who got that one tucked the flap away just like this Apache did and I told him I wasn't sure that had been done....

Why the devil you got to make me look a fool?:bounce:

I dont have a picture to share, but how 'bout this story? Eri Davidson Woodbury of the 1st VT Cavalry received the Medal of Honor for the capture of the flag of the 12th North Carolina Infantry at Cedar Creek. Woodbury accompanied Custer to Washington, D.C. where he was introduced to Edwin M. Stanton, who presented the medal in person.

According to this newspaper report, the flag staff upon which the flag of the 12th NC was fastened was a "very excellent jointed fishing rod" Can't you imagine the reaction to a group of guys, portraying the 12th North Carolina, showing up for a reenactment with an old fishing pole as a flagstaff? Does anyone know if there is unit portraying the 12th NC? If there is, they should do it! :D
1579059751174.png

Evening Star. (Washington, DC), October 24, 1864, page 2.

Last edited:

View attachment 341891
That trooper, he looks like the kind of guy that would say... ‘I will blow your face clean off your face’
Eddie Murphy.
1579166341559.jpeg

Back