Peach Cobbler

donna

Brev. Brig. Gen'l
Forum Host
peach prang nypl crop.jpg
August is peach month. Found this old recipe. It is easy to make and delicious.

Peach Cobbler:

Make a light dough of baking powder, and very little shortening; roll thin, and line the sides and ends of a small bread pan: peel the peaches, put them in enough water to cook them and make plenty of juice; cover on top with a crust, leaving holes on top for steam to escape; bake until the peaches are quite tender, in a slow oven; lift all the crust; cut into small pieces, then spread each piece with peaches and juice; sprinkle sugar and small lumps of butter all over, eat with cream or milk.

Last edited by a moderator:
I put "Pie Spice" (Penzey's is my favorite but it could be homemade. Hand-mixed from: cinnamon (China, Korintje, Ceylon, Vietnamese), vanilla sugar (sugar, vanilla bean), mace, ginger, nutmeg, anise seed and clove.) in my peach cobbler. I also have found that cooking it in my cast iron dutch oven makes it taste better.

I was looking for period recipes the other day and came across this little gem:

https://www.amazon.com/dp/0813120829/?tag=civilwartalkc-20

Seems every desert is made even better with a scoop of vanilla icecream...

I think chocolate pudding prefers tin roof sundae icecream, actually...

I was looking for period recipes the other day and came across this little gem:

That looks pretty neat, although my first thought was, "Why get a cookbook when there are so many of them on the Internet?" But it sounds like it's a "chatty cookbook" that offers a lot more than the recipes.

Another source of Civil War Era Recipes is The Prairie Farmer:

http://idnc.library.illinois.edu/cg...06&sp=PFR&e=-------en-20--1--txt-txIN--------

Some recipes were a bit iffy -- the 6 June 1861 issue has this review of a recipe printed in the 16 May issue (and, yes, Pure Pink's quote is exact):

EDS . PRAIRIE FARMER . - —June Isle recommends “impure , sluggish brooks , loaded with mineral and vegetable substances,” as furnishing the best water for rhubarb wine . Why not throw in a dead horse or two , to make it equal to the best lager? Is not decaying animal substance as rich as decaying vegetable ? Try it June Isle, and let us know the result.

Yours , PURE PINK . WOODSTOCK , May 22 d , 1861 .

Last edited:
IMO, chocolate pudding calls for a heap of whipped cream with a hint of sugar and vanilla flavor on top .... :rolleyes:

That's my favorite combination as well, to be honest. But when I was still living with my parents, where whipping cream wasn't an option (mom never had cream on hand, and she didn't like us messing in her kitchen), I discovered that tin roof sundae ice cream is amazing on chocolate pudding.

I think chocolate pudding prefers tin roof sundae icecream, actually...

That looks pretty neat, although my first thought was, "Why get a cookbook when there are so many of them on the Internet?" But it sounds like it's a "chatty cookbook" that offers a lot more than the recipes.

Another source of Civil War Era Recipes is The Prairie Farmer:

http://idnc.library.illinois.edu/cg...06&sp=PFR&e=-------en-20--1--txt-txIN--------

Some recipes were a bit iffy -- the 6 June 1861 issue has this review of a recipe printed in the 16 May issue (and, yes, Pure Pink's quote is exact):

That horse bit is a little terrifying! LOL

Back