Onion Soup

I just found this recipe and am interested in trying it out. I searched for and found John Mollard's The art of cookery made easy and refined on archive.org.

However, in the onion soup recipe (page 7), there is an ingredient I can't translate or find via google: leason
Onion soup recipe.jpg

Does anyone know what leason is?

Edit: Could with leason be meant the liaison of 4 egg yolks, a cup of cream and salt?

Last edited:
A leason in cooking is a binding agent. It could be bread crumbs or flour. But it is almost all the time to refer to a mixture of cream and egg yolks to thicken soups and sauces.

In this recipe I would say it is mixture of cream and egg yolks.

Hope this helps.

Onion soup might be my all time favorite soup.

Ditto. I love French Onion soup with a slice of toasted French bread and cheese on top, broiled until the cheese melts. Mmmmmm!

This soup sounds pretty different. Haven't made onion soup with both milk and egg yolks, nor with the spice combination he suggests, although I do make a version with milk and cream (technically the recipe just calls for whole milk, but I pretty much always replace a bit of it with cream). My kids are all Harry Potter fiends, and so every winter I make Creamy Onion Soup and Soda Bread, using the recipes from The Unofficial Harry Potter Cookbook. I was thoroughly disgusted with that cookbook the first time I looked through it because her "bangers and mash" recipe uses bulk sausage (how is that supposed to "bang"?), but eventually I got over that, borrowed the book from the library and copied those two recipes and we think they're really good.

Still haven't tackled her recipe for Knickerbocker Glory, though...

This onion soup landed on my table today, served with multi-grain bread. And it was delicious! :hungry:

I don't have a large enough cooking pot for 8 onions so I used only three - but they were rather large ones. Since I also had some Welsh onion left, I put that in too. Therefore, I also used less water than the 3 quarts suggested. But I used the amount of leason given in the recipe (1 cup of cream and 4 egg yolks). My soup therefore was more yellowish than in the video and also probably more creamy. But it tasted well and that's what counts IMO. :smile:

Also, a couple of days ago, I fried me some onions like in the video, but without going all the way and making a soup out of them. I then mixed them with scrambled eggs. Made a great dinner. :smile:

Back