Authentic Onion Soup

Fewer ads. Lots of American Civil War content!
JOIN NOW: REGISTER HERE!

Eleanor Rose

Captain
Forum Host
x-Bol_de_soupe_%C3%A0_l%27oignon_des_C%C3%A9vennes.jpg
Bol de soupe à l'oignon des Cévennes
Varaine [CC BY-SA 4.0 (https://creativecommons.org/licenses/by-sa/4.0)], via Wikimedia Commons

Mary Randolph’s The Virginia Housewife, is the first cookbook written and published in the US. Published in 1860, Mary’s book organized the recipes of her time, which was an improvement over word-of-mouth and in person experience, but they still leave a lot to interpretation. Mary’s recipe for “onion soup” reads as follows:

Chop up twelve large onions, boil them in three quarts of milk and water equally mixed, put in a bit of veal or fowl, and a piece of bacon with pepper and salt. When the onions are boiled to pulp, thicken it with a large spoonful of butter mixed with one of flour. Take out the meat, and serve it up with toasted bread cut in small pieces in the soup.

Check out this thread https://civilwartalk.com/threads/onion-soup.124244/#post-1325166
for additional details.

Last edited by a moderator:

Deleted User CS

Retired User
Miss Ellie. You must be a mind reader. My sister and I are going to have French onion soup this weekend. Thanks for sharing this particular onion soup recipe which sounds absolutely delicious. I have never heard of putting meat in onion soup before I generally add sherry to mine at the end. David.

Belle Montgomery

Sergeant Major
Sounds delicious! OK everyone...Eleanor Rose was gracious enough to provide us with a recipe for "Virginia" onion soup...forget the "French"...I presume meaning no cheese melted on top... even though they were sort of allies for the Rebels. :mstickle:

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
Legion Para Foods & Recipes 8
donna Foods & Recipes 3
James B White Foods & Recipes 5
B Foods & Recipes 9