1. Welcome to the CivilWarTalk, a forum for questions and discussions about the American Civil War! Become a member today for full access to all of our resources, it's fast, simple, and absolutely free!
Dismiss Notice
Join and Become a Patron at CivilWarTalk!
Support this site with a monthly or yearly subscription! Active Patrons get to browse the site Ad free!
START BY JOINING NOW!

My Model 1816 Springfield Shotgun

Discussion in 'Civil War Weapons and Ammunition' started by rapco, Dec 25, 2016.

1. rapco

rapco Cadet

Bought it at an auction a few weeks ago for $65 as a wall hanger. Had its 1850's US percussion conversion. Nice Eagle and US, Springfield & date is worn, may be 1820's date. US on buttplate, Eagle head & P on breach are worn. Wood has cracks but 1 cartouche that is barely visible. Strange hammer screw but correct hammer for the conversion. Pulled about 6" of rolled, compacted paper & cardboard from the breech, no lead. someone really wanted to "demil" it:wink:.
    Not sure what I'm going to do with it, thought it would be fun to show & tell.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

2. (Membership has it privileges! To remove this ad: Register NOW!)
  3. kevikens

kevikens 2nd Lieutenant

That was a very nice buy. I would have paid more than you did for this very nice example of the conversion technology. Good chance this arm saw service in the war and then a new life as a scatter gun afterwards. Oh, if these guns could talk! Say, that paper stuffed down the barrel. Any printing or writing on it? You might learn a bit more about the gun if there were writing on the paper. You might want to unravel it and see if there is any. Good find.

dagger dog and rapco like this.
  4. originalrebelyell

originalrebelyell Corporal

• I have a cut down 1816 also. That one looks good you got a good deal. If you can you might replace the modern phillips head screw in the hammer with a regular straight slot screw. That will make a nice wall hanger. Was there any markings on the paper.

rapco likes this.
  5. rapco

rapco Cadet

Cant find any writing, would have loved to find one stuffed with confederate notes;o) I did get another musket at the same auction for a little less, it has a shotgun type lock and had a M1816 front barrel band. Came with a CW> era Springfield hammer that didn't fit the lock. An odd little musket.

6. kevikens

kevikens 2nd Lieutenant

I would have preferred one stuffed with 1862 Greenbacks or 1864 original issue National Banknotes.

rapco likes this.
  7. originalrebelyell

Post some photos of the other one.

8. rapco

rapco Cadet

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Story and Jobe Holiday like this.
  9. Jobe Holiday

Jobe Holiday First Sergeant

Quite an assortment of parts! Thanks for sharing it with us.
    J.

tbuckley and rapco like this.
  10. originalrebelyell

That's interesting looks like something somebody put together from parts. Looks like they trimmed the butt stock down quite a bit.

rapco likes this.
  11. Story

Story First Sergeant

Lock looks like a percussion back-action from an old shotgun. Gut feeling was that this was lovingly-made for someone's child.

rapco and tbuckley like this.
  12. Story

Story First Sergeant

I looked at that a couple of times - could it have been cross-hatched peened with a chisel?

13. originalrebelyell

It might have been, does the lock work on the other one.

14. rapco

rapco Cadet

Yes, both locks work fine. Not sure about the screw, the cross slots look pretty much the same so may be just a strange, aftermarket screw.

(Membership has it privileges! To remove this ad: Register NOW!)