My First Shiloh Trip

Fewer ads. Lots of American Civil War content!
JOIN NOW: REGISTER HERE!

Ole Miss

Sergeant Major
Forum Host
Silver Patron
So pleased you had an opportunity to visit the Park as it is a must for any one interested in the Civil War. The Park is well maintained and the Staff are knowledgeable and very courteous. I suggest that for your next trip to Shiloh that y'all visit the Corinth Civil War Interpretive Center to complete your Shiloh visit. By the way I highly recommend driving an hour south to visit Brices Crossroads, though the Park itself is small, one can see distinctly the area of the conflict clearly.
Regards
David

A small blog post today about my first trip to Shiloh. Shamed of myself that I had never been to this iconic and bucolic location previously!

Shiloh!
I am going for the first time in a few weeks. Very excited. My G-G- Grandfather, Perry Beaver, fought there as a member of the 77th Ohio.

Any tips for getting the most out of my one day allotted for visiting the battlefield?

I am going for the first time in a few weeks. Very excited. My G-G- Grandfather, Perry Beaver, fought there as a member of the 77th Ohio.

Any tips for getting the most out of my one day allotted for visiting the battlefield?

Yes, I do have one tip beyond all the obvious ones. Make sure you hit what I refer to as "Tour Stop 21" aka Hagy's Catfish Hotel (the self-guided tour at the park has 20 stops) located just north of the park. Great experience on the river after you have experienced the battlefield.

Regards,

mt155

First Sergeant
Civil War Photo Contest
Annual Winner

Just Get out of the car and walk......you can go everywhere as long as you are up to it. I used to think you had to stay on the trails. Get the trailhead map and you can follow in the footsteps of the 77th Ohio.

Also, on my way to Shiloh Battlefield, I am stopping off at Marks Mill, Arkansas. It was a part of the Red River Camapign. At Marks Mill, the 77th Ohio had like 75% of the regiment captured.
Anyone need Information n this battle? I will be glad to send what I find.

I grew up near there and am familiar with just about every square inch of the place. I still think it is the most beautiful and unspoiled of all the Civil War National Military Parks. Thanks for posting!
I love that place too. It was my first National battlefield to ever go to. My father took me and my brother when I was 11 years old. My great-grandmother had the last name of "Ijams" and I'm told that many Ijams kinfolk of mine are still living in the area. My G-G-Grandfather fought with General Forrest at Shiloh. His name was Capt. Benton Clay Ijams. He grew up near the battlefield and died in the 1870's in Corinth, MS.

I love that place too. It was my first National battlefield to ever go to. My father took me and my brother when I was 11 years old. My great-grandmother had the last name of "Ijams" and I'm told that many Ijams kinfolk of mine are still living in the area. My G-G-Grandfather fought with General Forrest at Shiloh. His name was Capt. Benton Clay Ijams. He grew up near the battlefield and died in the 1870's in Corinth, MS.
Is Granny Shaw still living? She was old when I met her in the 1980's. She had a store/souvenir shop at the crossroads split.

My G-G-G-grandfather and yours may have met at Shiloh. He was with the 77th Ohio Infantry and they had a run in with Forrest's men. I am in Savannah, Tenn. now.

I was hoping to go to the battlefield but it looks like I might get rained out. either during or after the battle.

My G-G-G-grandfather and yours may have met at Shiloh. He was with the 77th Ohio Infantry and they had a run in with Forrest's men. I am in Savannah, Tenn. now.

I was hoping to go to the battlefield but it looks like I might get rained out. either during or after the battle.

Thanks for making the connection. You never know, they may have exchanged fire with each other. I hope your G-G-G-grandfather made it through the war okay. Mine was wounded in the thigh during the battle but was crippled the rest of his life.

Ole Miss

Sergeant Major
Forum Host
Silver Patron
Shaw's Restaurant and Museum closed years ago. All the Boy Scout units would meet there before beginning the hiking tours of the battlefield. The museum was small but had an interesting collection. I especially remember seeing one of Bufford Pusser's shirts displayed there and thought to myself "I would never had crossed him!"
Nowadays there are usually a couple of Amish ladies who sell the best fruit preserves and Chow-Chow!

The Shiloh Museum and Gift Shop, across the street from the Shaw Restaurant is a very enjoyable stop with many rare artifacts and exhibits. It is well worth the stop. https://shilohtours.com/souvenir-gift-shop/

Agree about eating at Hagy's Catfish Hotel and highly recommend the All You Can Eat Catfish! https://www.catfishhotel.com/

If you can, be sure to run down to Corinth (20 miles) and visit the Corinth Civil War Interpretive Center, under the supervision of our own @TomP which enables one to follow the natural flow of operations after Shiloh. While in Corinth I would highly recommed going to Smith's Restaurant. Great meals at reasonable prices http://smithcorinth.com/
Regards
David

Shaw's Restaurant and Museum closed years ago. All the Boy Scout units would meet there before beginning the hiking tours of the battlefield. The museum was small but had an interesting collection. I especially remember seeing one of Bufford Pusser's shirts displayed there and thought to myself "I would never had crossed him!"
Nowadays there are usually a couple of Amish ladies who sell the best fruit preserves and Chow-Chow!

The Shiloh Museum and Gift Shop, across the street from the Shaw Restaurant is a very enjoyable stop with many rare artifacts and exhibits. It is well worth the stop. https://shilohtours.com/souvenir-gift-shop/

Agree about eating at Hagy's Catfish Hotel and highly recommend the All You Can Eat Catfish! https://www.catfishhotel.com/

If you can, be sure to run down to Corinth (20 miles) and visit the Corinth Civil War Interpretive Center, under the supervision of our own @TomP which enables one to follow the natural flow of operations after Shiloh. While in Corinth I would highly recommed going to Smith's Restaurant. Great meals at reasonable prices http://smithcorinth.com/
Regards
David
Great recommendations. Thanks!

Thanks for making the connection. You never know, they may have exchanged fire with each other. I hope your G-G-G-grandfather made it through the war okay. Mine was wounded in the thigh during the battle but was crippled the rest of his life.
Thank you. Yes he survived the war without mishap. Sorry about your G-G-G-grandfather being wounded. I'm glad he survived.

TomP

Sergeant
If you can, be sure to run down to Corinth (20 miles) and visit the Corinth Civil War Interpretive Center, under the supervision of our own @TomP which enables one to follow the natural flow of operations after Shiloh.
Thanks David,

We designed the Corinth Civil War Interpretive Center to make a trip up to the Shiloh Battlefield so much better; we are a unit of Shiloh National Military Park and any visit should commence here. We actually begin the narrative of events before Shiloh, even before Mississippi's secession.

Oh, and thanks for the promotion but I am not the supervisor at Corinth, just a soldier in the trenches.

Tom

Ole Miss

Sergeant Major
Forum Host
Silver Patron
Tom we are in the South and as such as you know every retired Confederate Soldier was either a Captain or Colonel so just accept the honorific for your past service!!
Regards
David

Fewer ads. Lots of American Civil War content!
JOIN NOW: REGISTER HERE!