My First Shiloh Trip

(Membership has it privileges! To remove this ad: Register NOW!)
I grew up near there and am familiar with just about every square inch of the place. I still think it is the most beautiful and unspoiled of all the Civil War National Military Parks. Thanks for posting!

ucvrelics

Captain
Forum Host
They don't get much better. I have 2 relatives that were killed there. I found a bullet washed out in a road bank when I was 13 which started my 47 year journey of Relic Hunting.

Ole Miss

Sergeant Major
Forum Host
Silver Patron
So pleased you had an opportunity to visit the Park as it is a must for any one interested in the Civil War. The Park is well maintained and the Staff are knowledgeable and very courteous. I suggest that for your next trip to Shiloh that y'all visit the Corinth Civil War Interpretive Center to complete your Shiloh visit. By the way I highly recommend driving an hour south to visit Brices Crossroads, though the Park itself is small, one can see distinctly the area of the conflict clearly.
Regards
David

A small blog post today about my first trip to Shiloh. Shamed of myself that I had never been to this iconic and bucolic location previously!

Shiloh!
I am going for the first time in a few weeks. Very excited. My G-G- Grandfather, Perry Beaver, fought there as a member of the 77th Ohio.

Any tips for getting the most out of my one day allotted for visiting the battlefield?

I am going for the first time in a few weeks. Very excited. My G-G- Grandfather, Perry Beaver, fought there as a member of the 77th Ohio.

Any tips for getting the most out of my one day allotted for visiting the battlefield?

Yes, I do have one tip beyond all the obvious ones. Make sure you hit what I refer to as "Tour Stop 21" aka Hagy's Catfish Hotel (the self-guided tour at the park has 20 stops) located just north of the park. Great experience on the river after you have experienced the battlefield.

Regards,

mt155

First Sergeant
Civil War Photo Contest
Annual Winner

Just Get out of the car and walk......you can go everywhere as long as you are up to it. I used to think you had to stay on the trails. Get the trailhead map and you can follow in the footsteps of the 77th Ohio.

Also, on my way to Shiloh Battlefield, I am stopping off at Marks Mill, Arkansas. It was a part of the Red River Camapign. At Marks Mill, the 77th Ohio had like 75% of the regiment captured.
Anyone need Information n this battle? I will be glad to send what I find.