My 1862 dated Springfield Rifle Musket

Garandguy

Private
I'm certain this one has been worked on a little bit. I'm posting these mainly for reference and comparison. I save pictures of guns from various websites like Gunboards to refer back to..

DSCN0710.JPG

DSCN0711.JPG

DSCN0712.JPG

DSCN0713.JPG

DSCN0713.JPG

DSCN0714.JPG

DSCN0715.JPG

DSCN0716.JPG

DSCN0717.JPG

DSCN0718.JPG

DSCN0719.JPG

DSCN0720.JPG

DSCN0721.JPG

DSCN0722.JPG

DSCN0723.JPG

Welcome to CWT from the Smoky Mountain side of North Carolina. Just jump right in and enjoy.
Thanks for sharing your Springfield nice looking piece.

It looks like it's in worn but honest and essentially "unmessed-with" condition; welcome to the forums from another firearms enthusiast!

Very Nice Springfield.

I'm certain this one has been worked on a little bit. I'm posting these mainly for reference and comparison. I save pictures of guns from various websites like Gunboards to refer back to..

What makes you believe "this one has been worked on a little bit?" It looks like you would hope one would look after this amount of time and the years of service it probably put in.

I'm looking at the pin prick pitting along the barrel and on the bands. Usually when that's present, but the rest of the metal is relatively bright and smooth, it's been at least steel wooled. Maybe not. There's no inspection stamps left on the stock, but a large sideways "B" is stamped on it. "XV" is struck with a blade or filed into the metal on the Triggerguard, Barrel, and on the bands. Definitely not factory marks. I tried to picture these marks, but they're faint. Because it has a decent amount of patina, I don't think it was slickered up recently to sell, but may be an arsenal refurbishment?

Last edited:
It looks like it is all there and in better shape than the Bridesburg I picked up last month. Put it on display or if it has any rifling left in the bore you can shoot it. Keep the powder loads and bullet weights on the light side though. Remember it's the weight of the bullet that really drives up internal breech pressures. Heavier bullet equals higher pressures. Always wear eye protection... especially if you are a left handed shooter.

Great looking Springfield.
The hammer screw is rounded. I thought they were flat & didn’t change to rounded until the trapdoors. Maybe changed during rebuild?

Back