Most Controversial General

Who is the most controversial CW general?

• McClellan

Votes: 15 22.4%
  • Sickles

Votes: 9 13.4%
  • Sherman

Votes: 9 13.4%
  • Longstreet

Votes: 2 3.0%
  • Butler

Votes: 8 11.9%
  • Forrest

Votes: 11 16.4%
  • Grant

Votes: 1 1.5%
  • Lee

Votes: 3 4.5%
  • Rosecrans

Votes: 2 3.0%
  • Joe Johnston

• Sheridan

Votes: 1 1.5%
  • Someone else

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Controversy is defined as: “a prolonged public dispute, debate, or contention; disputation concerning a matter of opinion.” Under the definition it would be Forrest because all the others though labeled by some degree or another with disputation concerning their generalship, no one is more so than Forrest and all are less so.
Forrest is identified by the great Shelby Foote as the single authentic genius on the Confederate side ( Lincoln on the Union side). He raised and funded his own volunteers. He rose the fastest of any commander from the ranks to Generalship. He created attack principles that were studied and even followed in WWII.
He murdered men in cold blood before the war. He was a wicked, brutal slave trader. He helped blacks financially after the war. We don’t know for sure what his personal role was at Ft. Pillow but it most likely was somewhere between tolerance and and full approval. But , again it’s in dispute. He threatened Bragg with murder. Why did Bragg not arrest him? Finally, the stories about his being the grand “Pooh Ba” of the KKK ( for which modernist anti-slavery types despise his guts) are crossed against his resignation thereof and the clear and seemingly very real late life conversion to Protestant Christianity. His late life was passive and compliant. He encouraged black-white reconciliation. Was it real?
What was he? Who was he at his core? Which legends are true about the man? What can be proved from the record and what can not? He evokes a strong reaction—and mostly so on this site.
Yep.

I'm surprised that General Forrest is not leading this poll.

I thought it would be a very close race between Forrest and Sherman.
Never did I expect McClellan to be on the way to a landslide victory as the most controversial General of the American Civil War.

After two days McClellan still holds the lead but it seems to be shrinking a bit. Forrest and Butler are tied for second with Sherman and Sickles holding a tie for third.

Only Grant and Rosecrans have no votes. (A bit surprised that no one has pulled the lever for Grant)

I voted. There are more than a couple of the generals were indeed controversial. It will be interesting to see who wins.

And 160 years later he is still talked about ---even in contemporary media and by contemporary politicians
I cant say Lincoln gets as much contemporary attention as Forrest.

Under the definition it would be Forrest because all the others though labeled by some degree or another with disputation concerning their generalship, no one is more so than Forrest and all are less so.

Yes, I selected Forrest in the poll because of the reasons you mentioned here. In terms of his actions during the war, it would be hard to say that he had as much impact militarily as others discussed here -- McClellan, Grant, Lee, Bragg, Johnston, etc. -- but in the extremes of emotions he still provokes today, he's quite controversial.

Last edited:
Yes, I selected Forrest in the poll because of the reasons you mentioned here. In terms of his actions during the war, it would be hard to say that he had as much impact militarily as others discussed here -- McClellan, Grant, Lee, Bragg, Johnston, etc. -- but in the extremes of emotions he still provokes today, he's quite controversial.
I also selected Forrest. Many of the others mentioned in the poll have fervent defenders and detractors as far their military careers are concerned. But Forrest was truly controversial because of his pre-war actions as a slave trader, his wartime involvement with the massacre at Ft. Pillow, and his post-war relationship with the KKK. Interestingly, his military ability as a cavalry leader is probably not in much dispute no matter what one thinks of his entire life story.

Another day and McClellan still holds the lead. Forrest in second is gaining ground. Sickles holds third alone. None on the list have zero votes. “Someone Else” has three votes but judging from the comments these are votes for Bragg (with the slight exception of a possible vote for Pope).

Another day and McClellan still holds the lead. Forrest in second is gaining ground. Sickles holds third alone. None on the list have zero votes. “Someone Else” has three votes but judging from the comments these are votes for Bragg (with the slight exception of a possible vote for Pope).
Kind of like watching a sporting event.

:bounce:

Hold on here.
There is no proof of Butler stealing spoons or the church silver. In fact the LSU press had a great mini book large pamphlet that showed Butler turned over the silver he did use to Banks and that was never seen again.
So the spoons thing is a myth...period.
Did he play fast and loose with Lincolns approval to shore up a ters in the south and keep some form of economy going...yes.
Was he the only person. Who took advantage of war time? Hardly. In fact Butler forbade officers from resigning only to come back as a Dept. sutler.
Ok...he saw that the military needed cloth and cloth was either coming in from overseas or was shoddy...yep he bought the mill and produced the cloth. Is seizing on an opportunity wrong? To my knowledge there isnt a journal out there that process Butler was price gauging.
After the war he was a business man and dang good one with the help of his contacts.
So?
Do you mean to suggest no one then or now grabs an opportunity when they see it? Come on man!
The Union Cartridge Co...Cape Ann granite...the Mill...silver mines all made his very wealthy.
Did you want him waving a sword and leading soldiers forward...no.
Did you want him watching the backs of his troops..heck ya.
Yes, he never let a good crisis go to waste. Where did he get the silver he turned over to Banks? You have to do some thing to get your face on a chamber pot.

I was hoping you might weigh in here! Gen Butler does seem controversial to me, as he provokes strong reactions, sometimes negative and sometimes positive. But in dimensions very different from someone like McLellan or Lee.

Roy B.
That's why I chose Butler. He was good at getting people on both sides mad at him.

Yes, he never let a good crisis go to waste. Where did he get the silver he turned over to Banks? You have to do some thing to get your face on a chamber pot.
He borrowed the silver from the local church that regularly prayed for Jeff davis and his gang. Then he inventoried it and passed it to Banks and it was never seen again when Banks left.

I was hoping you might weigh in here! Gen Butler does seem controversial to me, as he provokes strong reactions, sometimes negative and sometimes positive. But in dimensions very different from someone like McLellan or Lee.

Roy B.
Yes very different reactions. Butler kept up the controversy through his life not settling for a mere 4 years.
The best part is...he never cared what "we" thought...he forged ahead.
In his words...never mind the newspapers simply do your duty.

He borrowed the silver from the local church that regularly prayed for Jeff davis and his gang. Then he inventoried it and passed it to Banks and it was never seen again when Banks left.
What about the silverware belonging to Adolf Villeneuve a French citizen? Taken from Mrs S G Ferguson when arrested August 9th 1862, who was released with out trial, although her horses, buggy, silverware were not returned?

As we enter a new week Little MAC clings to the lead as the Wizard of the Saddle charges forward in second, gaining ground. Dirty Dan and Uncle Billy hold a tie in third.

Generals Grant & Sheridan bring up the rear with one vote each.

I voted for Forrest because no one knows if he was the murdering, psychopathic, slave dealing, first leader of the KKK or the most heroic, brilliant, tactical wizard of the war! Even scholars debate his legacy.
You are all right though, this should be divided into public perception and scholarly consideration. The public has generally followed the mythic status of these men without critical analysis.

Back