Morse Carbine

Tim B.

Cadet
I did a search and even asked my friend Google, but can not find what I am looking for... yet.

What am I looking for? I am trying to find drawings of the Morse Carbine. I would LOVE to find drawings with the measurements of the parts. I am also looking for load data for the ammunition.

I am currently enrolled in machinist classes. It is my goal to do something I have wanted to do since I was a kid. I want to build a rifle from scratch-ish. I chose the Morse Carbine for a couple reasons. One, it was made in Greenville County South Carolina (next door to me). Two, from what I have seen so far, there are very few parts in this thing. Hopefully meaning it will be easier to make and assemble a functioning example. Three, I think it is just freaking cool.

I wrote the ATF to confirm I would not be crossing any lines (already had a good idea from assembling AR15s and finishing 80% receivers) on this and a couple other projects I have in mind if I can gain the knowledge to do it. They confirmed I would not be getting a visit from any of their enforcement agents and gave suggestions on how to save money in tax stamp and paperwork on a planned attempt at a Snider Enfield (.577 caliber, converted from the 1858 Enfield). The largest caliber a civilian can own (in most cases) on a newly manufactured firearm is .50 caliber without buying a tax stamp.

Soooo... does anyone know of any drawings of parts and ammunition that might be handy in reverse engineering? One of my instructors is an engineer and said he could help me figure some of this stuff out, we just need a starting point.

Thanks in advance for any and all help, advice, and constructive criticism.

Respectfully
Tim

I did a search and even asked my friend Google, but can not find what I am looking for... yet.

What am I looking for? I am trying to find drawings of the Morse Carbine. I would LOVE to find drawings with the measurements of the parts. I am also looking for load data for the ammunition.

I am currently enrolled in machinist classes. It is my goal to do something I have wanted to do since I was a kid. I want to build a rifle from scratch-ish. I chose the Morse Carbine for a couple reasons. One, it was made in Greenville County South Carolina (next door to me). Two, from what I have seen so far, there are very few parts in this thing. Hopefully meaning it will be easier to make and assemble a functioning example. Three, I think it is just freaking cool.

I wrote the ATF to confirm I would not be crossing any lines (already had a good idea from assembling AR15s and finishing 80% receivers) on this and a couple other projects I have in mind if I can gain the knowledge to do it. They confirmed I would not be getting a visit from any of their enforcement agents and gave suggestions on how to save money in tax stamp and paperwork on a planned attempt at a Snider Enfield (.577 caliber, converted from the 1858 Enfield). The largest caliber a civilian can own (in most cases) on a newly manufactured firearm is .50 caliber without buying a tax stamp.

Soooo... does anyone know of any drawings of parts and ammunition that might be handy in reverse engineering? One of my instructors is an engineer and said he could help me figure some of this stuff out, we just need a starting point.

Thanks in advance for any and all help, advice, and constructive criticism.

Respectfully
Tim
Welcome! Sorry, I can't help, but I most certainly admire you for taking on this project! Please keep us posted on your progress!

Sounds like a very unique project. Please be sure to keep us updated on your progress.

I would be proud to keep everyone updated. I am still learning the machinist skills I will need to do this. I figured I could start looking for other information I will need once I learn how to actually make some of the parts. Considering the limited numbers of completed carbines produced, I know it will be difficult to find an actual example to reference. However, I seem to remember reading that there were more parts produced and I hope to find some of them that might be more accessible.

It's going to be a long project, but I feel it will be worth it.

Back