1. Welcome to the CivilWarTalk, a forum for questions and discussions about the American Civil War! Become a member today for full access to all of our resources, it's fast, simple, and absolutely free!
Dismiss Notice
Join and Become a Patron at CivilWarTalk!
Support this site with a monthly or yearly subscription! Active Patrons get to browse the site Ad free!
START BY JOINING NOW!

Morse Carbine

Discussion in 'Civil War Weapons and Ammunition' started by Tim B., Feb 13, 2018.

1. Tim B.

Tim B. Cadet

I did a search and even asked my friend Google, but can not find what I am looking for... yet.

What am I looking for? I am trying to find drawings of the Morse Carbine. I would LOVE to find drawings with the measurements of the parts. I am also looking for load data for the ammunition.

I am currently enrolled in machinist classes. It is my goal to do something I have wanted to do since I was a kid. I want to build a rifle from scratch-ish. I chose the Morse Carbine for a couple reasons. One, it was made in Greenville County South Carolina (next door to me). Two, from what I have seen so far, there are very few parts in this thing. Hopefully meaning it will be easier to make and assemble a functioning example. Three, I think it is just freaking cool.

I wrote the ATF to confirm I would not be crossing any lines (already had a good idea from assembling AR15s and finishing 80% receivers) on this and a couple other projects I have in mind if I can gain the knowledge to do it. They confirmed I would not be getting a visit from any of their enforcement agents and gave suggestions on how to save money in tax stamp and paperwork on a planned attempt at a Snider Enfield (.577 caliber, converted from the 1858 Enfield). The largest caliber a civilian can own (in most cases) on a newly manufactured firearm is .50 caliber without buying a tax stamp.

Soooo... does anyone know of any drawings of parts and ammunition that might be handy in reverse engineering? One of my instructors is an engineer and said he could help me figure some of this stuff out, we just need a starting point.

Thanks in advance for any and all help, advice, and constructive criticism.

Respectfully
    Tim

2. (Membership has it privileges! To remove this ad: Register NOW!)
  3. Larryh86GT

Larryh86GT Corporal

That's quite a task you have given yourself. Good luck in your endeavor. It's going to take a
    lot of skill I would imagine.

mofederal likes this.
  4. Jobe Holiday

Jobe Holiday First Sergeant

It would be much simpler to buy the kit from the "Rifle Shoppe". Assembling it will still require your machining skills, but you won't have to spend the untold hours manufacturing the individual parts.
    J.

mofederal likes this.
  5. JOHN42768

JOHN42768 1st Lieutenant Trivia Game Winner

mofederal likes this.
  6. WJC

WJC Moderator Moderator

Welcome! Sorry, I can't help, but I most certainly admire you for taking on this project! Please keep us posted on your progress!

mofederal likes this.
  7. Lanyard Puller

Lanyard Puller Private

Tim B.
    I sent you a P.M. {conversation} concerning the Morse project.

mofederal likes this.
  8. ucvrelics.com

ucvrelics.com 2nd Lieutenant Forum Host

Sounds like a very unique project. Please be sure to keep us updated on your progress.

9. Tim B.

Tim B. Cadet

I would be proud to keep everyone updated. I am still learning the machinist skills I will need to do this. I figured I could start looking for other information I will need once I learn how to actually make some of the parts. Considering the limited numbers of completed carbines produced, I know it will be difficult to find an actual example to reference. However, I seem to remember reading that there were more parts produced and I hope to find some of them that might be more accessible.

It's going to be a long project, but I feel it will be worth it.

mofederal likes this.

(Membership has it privileges! To remove this ad: Register NOW!)